I've got Wrigglers!!

Morphine

Hey,

So i've gone unsucessful once with trying to keep my convicts fry alive. They laid there eggs approx on may 22nd or 23rd, and today I noticed they've dropped and now are wriggling around. I was wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks to trying to keep these fry alive.

I've tried to do alot of research on how to keep them but nothing has so far worked, now I know they will keep popin out babies so I'm not too worried if these die.

How do you guys feel about WC's - 10% everyday or 20% every week I've read it's good I've read to not do any WC's.

Also I'm just feeding my convicts on flake food which they seem to like, should I change there food to a cichlids pellet food?

Anyways any feedback would be appreciated. (not like anyone wants convicts)

Thanks,

Jordan

Personally I believe pellets are much better, tough time telling some fish this though. Feeding them microworms should increase the rate of survival of the fry, crushed flake or pellet should help. I dont do wcs around newly hatched fry, but they are fed pellets so it isnt as urgent. These are just things I do with my fry, other members may tell you diffrently!

I appreciate the reply so quickly, yeah I have pellets and they do eat them so i'll stick with that, and exactly that was my thinking that the tank wouldn't get so dirty reducing the water changes. I also heard that they could be eating there fry because they arn't getting enough nutrients from the food.

Also when should I try to start feeding my fry, when they become free swimming? Because the last time I tried feeding them while they were still wriggling and the parents moved there nest from me, which could be another reason they ate them.

Thanks,

Jordan

IME, clean water is the best way to care for young fish. I am in the habit of doing 50% weekly WCs, and that doesn't change when I have a new batch of fish. If you are trying something that is known to be fussy (not convicts), you may want to use water from an established tank (preferably lightly stocked, so you're not just transfering Nitrates).