Need Some Help ! Lost One Fish So Far

The-Influence

Ok I Came Home Today With One Of My Electric Blue Rams Dead And Some White Fuzz On One Of My Apistos ! Now Im Not New Too The Hobby So First I Thought Its Just A Fungus So I Will Do A Water Change And All That Other Fish Doctor Stuff But Then I Noticed That There Is White Fuzz On My Wood ! Iv Never Had This White Stuff In My Tank So Im Clueless...

Now There Is Only 2 Things Iv Done New Lately And Thats

Added Plant Gro By Nutrafin

Added DIY Co2

Here Is A Few Pic's

Any Ideas ?

Blake

post-3986-127491234589_thumb.jpg

Edited by The-Influence

The only time I had fungus was when I also had a nitrite spike. Check your water. As per your photos I had that growing in my tank with no ill effects on any fish. What fish food are you feeding?

Edited by Baos

That white stuff on your wood could be feeding off the sugar from the DIY CO2 - white fuzz almost always shows up with DIY CO2, and Ottos love the stuff. You may have had a CO2 dump - I once wiped out a tank full of discus with a CO2 dump. :(

Yeah its weird how sometimes I can go 5 or 6 years without a illness than all of a sudden everything changes.Fishkeeping is supposed to be relaxing but when you have ill fish it is anything but. I have some fungus meds on hand just in case if you need some. Its just tank buddies, let me know as I may be heading up tonight to ge that fish.

You don't have to pull everything out, just watch it closely. If it's one of your 60's, what kind of filter do you have the CO2 bubbling into? If it's a canister, then CO2 could very well have been the issue. Bubble your CO2 into a powerhead that's on a timer with your lights, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Do a 50% WC and watch your tank closely for a few days - count the CO2 bubbles (you don't want much more than 3/sec unless you know what you're doing ;)), watch your fish for signs of stress, and see how it all goes.

An alternative could be to use one of those bubble ladders right under the output of your canister. Or, use a diffusor that attaches to the output of your canister - there are quite a few DIY designs out there that use PVC

I will have too look in to that .., was thinking of just picking up a ladder .... But I ended up pulling everything out last night and found that one particular priece of wood smelt real bad ... Not sure what ta make of it but I sure in the hell not pitting it back in there ... So now I need to find another few pieces of wood as there are little places for these fish to claim ...

Blake