Fish Recommendations

Wayne

Hello all,

Looking for a few suggestions on what type of fish to put into my 29 gallon saltwater setup. I need something compatible with my flower pot corals and my cleaner shrimp. I have been leaning towards Jawfish or Scooters for the bottom. But I need advice for something reef safe and non-aggressive for mid to high.

I had some Saddleback Clowns that were to aggressive, and I don't want to make that same mistake again.

More on my tank: 34lb live rock, 25lb live sand (2-3" bed), 2 Filters running de-nitate, floss, and activated carbon, 1 power head and 96w of lighting (1 Atinic, 2 10k, 1 Coral Wave). I run 78 Degrees with 1.023-1.025 Specific Gravity.

Thanks

Ocelaris clowns would be fine, about as docile a clown you can get. Scooters are nice, gobies, pygmy hawkfish... check out CanReef.com for some good ideas and great tips from local reefers.

Also, don't forget to replace your Carbon regularly - a month at the very most, as it will start leaching crap back into your tank.

Good thing to know about the carbon. I was already planning on changing it more often then not. But after reading that the de-nitrification bags needed to be changed every week for freshwater and only half the bag every 3-6 months for marine, so I wasn't so sure about the carbon anymore smile.gif

Strongly considering: Hawkfish, Wrasses, Scooters, Blennies, Gobies, Damsels, Jawfish... Still trying to narrow it down some. I kinda like the idea of a Jawfish down low, something that plays in the live rock and a mid to high swimmer. I don't have an account for CanReef but I may sign up now.

Edited by Wayne

i'd skip the damsels...they're little buggers when they mature...and tearing apart your tank to get 'em out sucks.

The rest though are cool...though I think hawkfish aren't considered safe when around inverts? I could be wrong, but that's the reason I didn't get the long nose hawkfish.

Sand tilefish are cool too...lots of nice gobies you can get like green clown goby, yellow clown goby, prawn gobies etc.

Firefish...there's a lot to choose from. ;)

If you're running cannister filters I'd strongly consider gutting them and using live rock rubble. Keep the carbon but nothing filters better than cured live rock. If you use foam and different types of media they become "nitrate factories". A hawkfish could be trouble if your inverts are small. I don't know if I'd trust them around cleaner shrimp. The clown gobies generally like SPS corals to perch on. Ocelaris clowns would work but remember not to overdo it. IMO a 29gal tank would only hold 4 fish max.

We have added a Citron (Clown) Goby, and today are going to get either a Yellowhead or Dusky Jawfish for something down low. I am hoping to find something for the open mid to high with lots of color and preferably something that will eat flake food...

I am changing the carbon and mesh every week, I only have it in there because my water is a little cloudy. I have been dosing the aquarium with aragamilk to bring my pH and Calcuim levels up I may try other chemicals to do this thou...

Edited by Wayne

If you have something for it to host in, an Ocelaris clown would be a nice fish for out in the open. They tend to eat well, too.

I would love some Clownfish but I had some Saddlebacks which I bought some FlowerPot Corals. They loved the coral but the corals didn't love them... Should have bought the right coral for the right clown I guess.

Oh and we decided on a Dusky Jawfish that now has a new home in our tank :) He reminded us of our Bearded Dragon so we had to get him. I am waiting till Big Al's gets a new shipment of fish and hopefully something will fit my demands.

Edited by Wayne