yellow calvus acting weird

JLake

I did a wc today and when it was done I noticed my small yellow calvus hanging out with a pleco in a unusual spot. He is on the bottom in a area he never goes to. He is not bullied at all. Water tests were done and confirmed 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 ppm nitrate. As the night progressed he began to leave his mouth open. I mean open all the time now a considerable amont. His gills are also flared out, gills seem bright red but other than that the fish looks 100 percent normal. It appears not to be breathing but its obv getting oxygen to gills somehow. I dont expect it to live much longer. Any ideas what could be happening? I have some great fish in that tank and I am worried. No fish show any signs of any problems, there are also a great deal of fry in that tank and they are fine. Wc was a nomal 25 per cent weekly thing, prime was used and treated water sat in buckets for 5 to 10 ,ins before being added.

No flashing at all. It has always been my slowest growing yellow calvus, its gill plates are wide open and so is its mouth. It just darted rapidly into the side wall of tank. Looks like my first lost in a while, I dont want any other fish to get sick. Does anyone know anything about bacterial gill disease? Worried

Were you able to get a look into his mouth? I've seen this thing when a fish has bitten off more than it can chew.

No I did not check inside his mouth, I never thought of that. I just fed him, he spit the first pellet but ate the second. It was so strange, his gills and mouth were not moving last night. I am shocked it is still alive! And acting so normal now.

Yeaah I thought about that. Maybe a slug of some chemical came thru the system. A few weeks ago I got lil pieces of paper like plastic come out of my kitchen sink when i was doing a water change. Im worried about that tank fish still. Are your black calvus fine now?