Stocking 125 Gallon check out the list

Palmer

Well my the cycling of my tank seems to be doing well and since I have Nitrates I am getting ready to get some fish soon. I'm planning on doing a Hap/Peacock tank and so far here's what I came up with-

Nimbochromis Venustus- 1 M

Dimidiochromis Compressiceps- 1 M

Labidochromis Caeruleus- 1 M (Yes I know he's Mbuna but i would like to have just one! ^_^ )

Otopharynx Lithobates- 1M 3F

Aulonocara Rostratum- 1M 3F

Aulonocara Stuartgrandi (ngara) 1M 3F

Aulonocara Jacob. (Hongi Isl.) 1M 3F

2 Synd. Cats- whatever I can get

Many of these fish i have never had so feel free to warn me if you see some problems. One concern i do have is with the Aulonocara Jacob. I hear they can be quite a bit more aggressive then most Peacocks and get pretty big. I was hoping in a 125 G that it might not be a problem.

Palmer

Edited by Palmer

Still a VERY high chance of cross breeding!!!

Here's what I'd do:

Nimbochromis Venustus- 1 M 2F

Dimidiochromis Compressiceps- 1 M 2F

Labidochromis Caeruleus- 2M 4F

Otopharynx Lithobates- 1M 3F

Copadichromis azureus - 1M 3F

Pick one of these:

Aulonocara Rostratum- 1M 3F

Aulonocara Stuartgrandi (ngara) 1M 3F

Aulonocara Jacob. (Hongi Isl.) 1M 3F

(the ngara seem to be the easiest to get in Calgary)

5-7 Synd. Cats- whatever I can get (they do better in larger groups)

Anyone else have any thoughts on this???

Thanks for the suggestions do you think a 125 G is big enough for three each of the Nimbochromis and the Dimidiochromis once they start to mature in size? I'm going to do a little more research about the mixing of the Peacocks and if I cant find anything else supporting it with the subtypes I'll just go with the one subtype. Copadichromis sounds like a good alternative :D

I really just want a token Lab not really that many but we'll see!

I have to agree with Rahim. Mixing peacocks, even if they are different "groups" is not a good idea. They crossbreed too easily.

Rahims stock list looks good :) I"d stick to only 1 peacock species, or go with all males.

Are you planning of breeding or is this just for show?

Degrassi,

It is only for show. I was originally wanting to do an all male tank but since I am adding them as juveniles figured I might not be successful at determining the sex of all of them. I am suprized that the article I posted is even on the Cichlid forum considering how most seem to be of the opinion of yourself and Rahim that multiple Peacocks even outside there "subgroup" have a high chance of breeding. So I am going to take Rahim's advice and just go with one and add more Haps.