Cobalt Blue Zebra??

alterego

I bought a trio of these at a LFS, but this guy has grown twice as fast as the other two. He's now 5 inches+ while the others are still at 3 inches. Hes outgrown the much older Yellow labs and Red zebra. When I bought the trio I could not tell one from the other, now on the other hand, aside from size this much larger guy has also lightened up from the dark cobalt blue he was as a juvie to a very pale blue and at times an almost albino white and has also developed barring. I was speaking to Jvision today and mentioned this guy and he suggested I post him here and try to find out if he's a true Cobalt Blue, a hybrid, or something else altogether. So here he is.

DSCF5197.jpg

DSCF5196.jpg

All opinions are welcome... would love to have a definite ID on the tank bully.

(in the second pic he does kinda look like the little Demasoni but his barring does not extend into the dorsal fin)

Thanks,

Brendan

After seeing it, I too think it's a Cobalt Blue. The barring is quite faint, which is normal for most mbuna... unless the barring is was washed out by a flash. If the bars are darker than the pic shows and are always there - even when he gets 'white' - then there's a good chance there's something else in him.

yeah it so tough to know for sure that any cichlid is pure, unless you know the supplier and trust them. Im guessin the fish was bought from petsmart as its tankmates are staples at that store. So purity is unlikely. Nice fish though i had the same 3 fish at one point in my life. Petsmart cichlids is what started me out on my journey.

Edited by JLake

Hmmm... the barring is always there and maybe even more noticable when he is white. Should I then consider him to be a hybrid or of low quality and not allow him to breed? I don't have to worry about him breeding for now as most of his tankmates are male, but there is always the desire for more tanks, more fish, and more after that. Thanks for the help.

Brendan

Hmmm... the barring is always there and maybe even more noticable when he is white. Should I then consider him to be a hybrid or of low quality and not allow him to breed? I don't have to worry about him breeding for now as most of his tankmates are male, but there is always the desire for more tanks, more fish, and more after that. Thanks for the help.

Brendan

Looks like my Cobalts.

Good to know, I was just concerned because what I have did not seem to match what the pictures I have seen online depicted. I just didn't want to perpetuate a hybrid line, If this is a normal occurrence for this fish, I will not make any special attempt to not have it breed in the future.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Brendan

He looks like the cobalts I had as well. They seem to range in blue coloration, I had some that were very dark blue and some like your guy... I obtained mine from Spensor Jack and from another supplier.

Lana