Wood Shrimp - Missing Maxillipeds After Molt

heff

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm new to Wood Shrimp (Flower, Singapore, Bamboo, etc.) and after about a month, he went into hiding and a discarded carapace was found at the bottom of my tank.

He's come out of hiding now a nice shade of orange and apparently missing his filter arms (maxillipeds).

Does anyone else keep these shrimp and has seen this before? Is my shrimp destined to die because he didn't grow the tools to eat?

Thanks!

Hugh

Edited by heff

I never had Wood shrimps before but is he missing BOTH of his arms? If so then I think he might not live long because they use their fans to trap particles and then eat them, if they don't have that, they will starve to death.

What are its tankmates? Could they have bitten his fans off? They are very vulnerable when molting.

Good question. I highly doubt it, but I'm sure stranger things have happened.

Tank mates:

2 kuhli loaches

6 guppies

2 amano shrimp

1 african dwarf frog

If your Ammanos are full grown (I've had 3" females!) they could have done the damage. I wouldn't put it past the frog, either. I've notice my shrimp leaving parts of themselve in thier shells after a molt this year, but it's usually just one of their claws. There may be an iodine deficiency in the water - an element that is necessary for a good molt in crustaceans.

Your shrimp may not be toast. Most shrimp have a few mandibles around their mouth. I have never taken a close look at wood shrimp, but he may have a few little pincers around its mouth with which it will be able to pick up food bits.

My amanos are only about an inch long and I've never seen them aggressive. They seem to molt every two or three weeks with no issues, but they're also not wood shrimp. I think I might have to pick up some iodine; one drop a week for a 10 gallon, is that correct?

I've been tempted to grab that giant shrimp (providing I can catch him) and take a peek, but I'm pretty sure I'll do more damage than good, either physically or psychologically.

Edited by heff

• 2 weeks later...

Being the "caring owner", I let the shrimp fend for himself. He appeared to be poking around with what was left of his mouth parts.

This morning, I've found he's got little feeders arms again. They're small, but they appear to be doing the trick. Maybe they grew back without molting? There aren't any obvious signs of a mol; there are some pieces of carapace around, but they appear to be from my other shrimp.