Show off your Fluval Edge tank thread

Welcome back Cale262 and thanks for contributing... I remember when I first saw your tank and your mods when you initially purchased it. Inspiration to me back then. Those modular rocks still look good. My tank is home to a bunch of crystal red shrimp as well.

Thnx, The tank has remained pretty much the same for the last year or so, I did however remove the co2 system, slow growing works just fine for me in this little tank, =s a PITA to trim :beer:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Cale Yeah I am starting to find that the CO2 is causing me a bit of a maintenance headache with the trimming too. I might have to consider taking mine off as well.

@Influence Thanks man! I admit it was a bit of an over reaction on my part. :blush: Unnecessary quoting in forums is kinda a pet peeve of mine. 3 or 4 people in a row, quoting the 3 picture post quoted above them starts to add up into unneeded scrolling for everyone else. It usually doesnt bother me that much but I had just finished reading through a thread in a different forum where people were having a conversation but kept just quoting the quotes before them and it got me a bit annoyed. Sorry dude!

I was able to purchase a "like new" used fluval for $65!! Will be setting it up this weekend. Need another tank like a hole in the head! It will be home to a pair of killie fish and a half moon betta. I think they will like the subdued lighting and will throw in some low light plants.

I'm having a frustrating time with my Edge right now... I had CO2 running but everyday the Milwaukee regulator bubbles at a different rate. The CO2 was bubbling so fast one day that it killed off the rainbow fish and severly melted my Crypt! It didn't look like the CO2 was working because none of the plants responded to it positively so I pulled it off and trying to figure out what the problem is with my ferts or light?

Twice a week I'm dosing Seachem Iron, Nitrogen, Potassium, Trace and doing 50% w/c with conditioned with Prime. This is for my val, dwarf hairgrass, crypt, and downoi... all growing VERY VERY slowly. I've even moved the tank to the mainfloor where it gets sunlight as well as the LEDs and 10W CFL for 8hours/day. None of the plants seem to be pure healthy green, the val is always a slight pale yellow and sometimes thins out, the dwarf grass is sprouting new shoots (I want it to carpet, but I only see about 10 new sprouts in the last 3 weeks).

Anyways, I think this should be in a different thread but there's my update on mine.

Edit: Do you guys gravel vac? I don't do it b/c I can't reach everywhere in my tank with the driftwood in the way.

Edited by mb3k

Sounds like a busy little tank mb3k... Do you have any pictures?

To me it sounds like you might be trying to do too much, too fast...IMHO

Sounds like a busy little tank mb3k... Do you have any pictures?

To me it sounds like you might be trying to do too much, too fast...IMHO

Yup, see page 1 of the thread. I'll take some more pics today and post up progress pics (or lack thereof).

I've been trying to do things by the book, but I haven't gotten the success others have had.

Yep Now I see it (can't see these pictures at work), Tank looks great...I have one of those Milwaukee regs on another larger tank but I've found the needle valve too be a little too finicky at low BPM rates. Is your reg on in those pics, mine works best with an output pressure of 20-25 psi

Maybe try some root tabs as I think those plants are quite finicky about nutrients in the substrate. I run a really really slow trickle of CO2 into the tank and it is under the opening so it isnt able to get trapped under the glass. When I tinker with my CO2 levels on my 31 gallon tank I notice that my crypts melt so I would not suggest changing your bubbles per second everyday like you said you did. Dont suppose you have a drop checker in the tank as I am curious to know what your levels are showing. Its also pretty easy to monitor it to get optimal CO2 levels in the tank (using 4KDH solution).

Let the plants mature a bit and they will start growing. I think you mentioned that the tank was only up a month or so? I remember my 2 sword plants being quite yellow for a few months and losing leaves before I put the CO2 on and they have since grown quite nicely.

I do water changes maybe every 1.5 - 2 weeks when I have time and gravel vac maybe 1 every 1.5 - 2 months or so and even then I only do the front sections where the driftwood and plants are not in the way. I recently got my hands on that special gravel vac that was made for the Edge and it work pretty well. Its slightly longer and has an angled opening which allows for getting in the front corners quite easily.

• 4 months later...