Huh didn't know she was pregnant !!

skynoch

Just had a few more stingray pups the other night. The first set was by one of my motoros in my pond which I had no idea was even pregnant. I knew someone in the pond was by the amount of food being consumed but I thought it was my other ray. The really neat thing was the size of the pups. They are half the size of any of my other pups I've had. As you can see in the pics there is a quarter for size reference and a shot of one of them with another pup born the same night from a different mother that is the normal birth size. Not sure an the species as she was kept with a few different males since I've been moving rays around. The pups are a darker base color than any of my other pups have been but that might be do to size, I'll have to keep an eye on them to see how they turn out.

I also had 4 other pups that night from a different mom in the 2200 gal tank, so at about 3 am on came the lights and in for a swim to retrive the pups. For the last week or so I've been taking soapless showers and checking in the middle of the night to see if they had arrived not knowing how they would fair with all the big rays and fish, but to my surprise I missed one that night and it was in perfect shape the next afternoon swimming around with everyone else.

Some pics because to follow a boring rant.

P1030917.jpg

P1030922.jpg

P1030921.jpg

P1030923.jpg

Nice!! Good Catch, I was wondering how you knew they were born at 3am I was going to ask if it was some sense only a male mother had. What do you plan on doing with them? All 5 I'm thinking by your post. Also where do you keep them in I know you hae teh 2200, you also have a pond? I wanna see pictures of this pond. What's your setup like, what do you have other then the 2200 in your basement?

Nice!! Good Catch, I was wondering how you knew they were born at 3am I was going to ask if it was some sense only a male mother had. What do you plan on doing with them? All 5 I'm thinking by your post. Also where do you keep them in I know you hae teh 2200, you also have a pond? I wanna see pictures of this pond. What's your setup like, what do you have other then the 2200 in your basement?

lol, male mother first time I've heard that. There are actually some signs when your ray will give birth. Usually a week to a few day before if the male is still in with her he will start to try and breed with her and then if your feeding 2 or 3 times a day which you should do when they are pregnant they won't eat usally around 8 hours before they give birth. I was just a little excited in the big pond due to thinking the pups may get eaten so I wasn't really following the signs and in the pond I didn't figure she would have been that far along ut all the signs were there when I look back.

There are actually 3 little pups and 4 pups from the other mother but I didn't include any pics of the others as they look like most my pearl x motoros. All the pups but maybe one will be for sale when they are able to eat earthworms or when I feel they are strong enough for beginners. The pups are just in a 90 gallon rubbermaid hooked to a system running a 250 gal pond, 450 gal tank, 75 gal tank and a 60 gal tank. I still hve one smaller tank empty waiting for my castexi to give birth within the next couple weeks. I also may have some really interesting pups coming in a few months if the females complete the pregnancies as they are they're first. I also hav a 280 gallon tank with some scobinas, some ray growouts, mbu, frt, and some tats. All my other basement setup are pretty ghetto and will be gone hopefully within the next year as I downsize a bit. I'll try a get some update pics of all when I get some time.

Loving those lil pups!

Me too, why is it when the smaller something is the cuter it is?

That is...amazing...

And that was the least boring rant I've ever heard.

Thanks and I'm glad I didn't put you to sleep.

OMG they're so cute! If I had the room for a massive tank i'd totally be into rays! I'm so jealous! It's awesome that you're so dedicated! Great job!

Thanks, I'm hoping I'll have some luck with breeding a smaller ray speicies (Thanks marek) called scobina which can live in much smallet tanks.

Congrats on the new additions!

Allways fun to see how the pups will come out and look, especially since I'm not sure on the father.

Congrats on the double birth :thumbs:

Thank you, hopefully I can keep my births staggered more so there are allways a few for sale.

Congrats Scott! They look pretty amazing. Love your title "Huh didn't know she was pregnant !!"

lol were you wondering if I was posting in the right forum!! Thanks

congrats mr motoro mom! hahaha. they are so cute! so wishing i had a large enough tank to keep a couple of those beauties!

Thanks, maybe I can find away to breed a dwarf species. lol I'm sure if you had a bigger tank it would be full of other things.

:o

yep get ready to house some more pups for awhile. And there still coming

There use to be this little brackish flounder like fish availble, I only seen them once and it was 10 years ago. Do you think these smaller pups will always be smaller or is it possible for them to just catch up and grow to a normal size?

thats very cool and Im quite impressed with your setup. I really like the idea of a big pond for rays and i think you must be a very good keeper to be able to do so. Good job and I hope they go to good owners if you end up selling them.

Very very cute for sure!

Kylethumbup.gif