disapearing fish

Bluecan

so my parents have a back yard pond ide say about 2.5-3 feet deep at its deepest, bought 4 very large goldfish for it yesterday only to return today to check up and find that the one large white one was gone ....really annoyed, anyone have any idea? there is also a large black oranda i think thats waht you call them, big fat slow and not very bright he would literally swim right into a predators mouth, just wondering what could have taken the large white one, anyone have any experience with this? there are a bunch of small fish as well , my only idea is that in the dark the white one stood out, where as the black fish was virtually undectable , and the rest are orange, pretty disapointed with this actually...suggestions tips...i was thinking maybe an early morning gull or cocky herron? i cant see a herron leaving the rest there, and i cant see a cat getting to far with such a large fish...all input welcome

I would guess a cat, racoon or heron. Fish are pretty easy prey when they're sleeping, and a big white one does stand out like a sore thumb. Herons are territorial, so putting a false heron in the yard should keep them at bay. Cats and racoons can often be scared by a motion sensor light.

i didnt think we had racoons here? yea I read up on the herron idea ,hopefully nothing is gone tommorow,, any ideas where I could get some cheap netting to fix something up to cover it? also I read minks and weasels can be a problem, I have seen a mink go in the water myself several years ago, great swimmers it would have no problem...

another one is gone this morning, i cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon black pale and put a rock in it and sunk it to the bottom of the pond, thats the best i can do for now, really wish i had a critter cam!! anyone know where \i could get one cheap in edmonton its driving me nuts not knowing what im dealing with, but there are no tracks and nothing is moved which makes me 85% rule out a mammal i think im dealing with a bird...i have read of issues with owls too grrr, of course it took the two nicest fish of the bunch as well

another one is gone this morning, i cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon black pale and put a rock in it and sunk it to the bottom of the pond, thats the best i can do for now, really wish i had a critter cam!! anyone know where \i could get one cheap in edmonton its driving me nuts not knowing what im dealing with, but there are no tracks and nothing is moved which makes me 85% rule out a mammal i think im dealing with a bird...i have read of issues with owls too grrr, of course it took the two nicest fish of the bunch as well

I hope you get a cam, Im sure you can rent one somewhere. Id love to see who the culprit is. Not alot of birds would be willing to hang out on the ground too long at night, Im still betting mammal.

I was going to suggest your white one might have jumped out of the pond but if you're missing another one, get yourself a cat trap for starters. Depending on how big your pond is, maybe try enclosing it with a net or chicken wire.

yea I was going to pic one up at wholesale sports but they were closed before i could get there grrrrr..yea I was thinking a mink or weasel could easily leave no trace they are small and light and the rocks are fairly large.., I think if it were a herron it would have sat there a lot longer to eat many of them hmmm hate leaving it for the night

another one bites the dust :(

theres no way my mom is going to go out and put a net on that pond each day, and covering it permanenetly would defeat the purpose, it seems the small ones are being left alone, its annoying but not much I cna do, and I dont think I can afford a critter cam, even though its eating me up inside, I wish I could set some type of harmless foot snare instead :P