Eellectricution!!

Evolution

Today I performed a 90% water change on my electric eel's 180. It is stacked ontop of my 180 ray tank, so I need a ladder to get in to play around. I have been electricuted by it 3 times in the 4 years that I've had it and all three times came from me playing around with an old fluval internal. The eel (really not an eel, but a knifefish) would spook and send a charge through the water and hit me. This guy packs 650 volts and what happens is the electricity enters the body, but doesn't travel through the body past the water line. So today I'm in there planting some awesome new plants I picked up yesterday from MarkN and I'm armpit deep into the tank planting a bunch of jungle val. I watched the little giant (3.5 feet) travel down the back of the tank and disappeared behind me and I gauged 4-5 seconds before it would come up behind me, so I played with the val a little more.

WHAM!!!

It came up and nudged me on the elbow with it's face and filled my entire hand, arm an shoulder with a massive jolt of power! I yelled "FAAAARG" and leaped up off the ladder and out of the water and down onto the floor. I landed on my feet completely shocked (no pun intended) and soaked. I walked about shaking the experience off and the energy out. It was witnessed by others and others too came running from else where because of my howling farg, so it certainly was not in vane! Everyone had a good laugh.

For about an hour afterward I was still feeling what seemed like a mild form of energy dancing in the marrow of my bones and every now and then the hair on the upper half of my body would stand on end.

In the end, all the plants look awesome and the tank water is crystal clear and the eel looks as if it is wearing a poop eating grin. It was just yesterday that I was thinking about finding a new home for it, but now I think I'll keep it another year.

Will

Edited by Evolution

Hahahaha, that is one of the best fish keeping stories ever! That is absolutely hilarious.

(I think you need to post some pictures now that you have talked about how good it looks!)

Ahaha, thank you for the compliment! I'll see what I can do about putting pictures up for you to see, but I cannot promise anything too soon.

i can see it all go down. funny...for all of us!

and just think, my hubby was whining last night about a little zap from one of those 'tennis racket' bug zappers....lol

It's hard for me to get things out sometimes, so it make sense to the reader. I'm gad you could follow it as most times I can't follow half the things I type.

I envy your hubby!! He got off easy!