Helping to cure moba

newfries

Hi Experts

I purchased 8 Blue Zaire Moba from breeder 3 months ago , size 0.75". they've been growning up @ good around 3" in the tank 55Gal with calvus. Last week, the day before I went out of town for 2 days, I fed them with the blood worm, they were very excited to get them. When I was back home I found out one Moba death. I changed water about 30% the next day I got 2 more gone( notice they wouldn't get food, kind of food NSL as usually I fed) both Moba & Calvus scared, hiding in cave or shell.... I asked a aquarium fish store they sold me a few pills(color is blue) they told me changing water & put those medicine into the tank, take the carbon out of filter no light .... I did as what they told me, after that I got 2 more Moba shiit death, I read the topic news @ other forum they said drop some Epsom salt, then I did but It does not help @ all, I'm so disappoint & frustrated now I hope someone can give me advise (why G.Moba was die, calvus are not they are in the same tank) or good idea to cure 2 my Moba left.. thanks a lot

I don't think it has sthing with water, changing water bi-weekly . I brought water to testing @ Big Al they said my water is just fine. before he died (Moba) he got hard breathing & scare, black strip shown very dark & some purple color showning as well...that's all I know

This really sounds like a water quality problem. Fronts suffer from ammonia poisoning at low concentrations. The behaviour you are describing is something fish will do when there are low levels of ammonia in the water.

How long has this tank been set up?

What type of filter do you use?

When was the last time you changed or cleaned the filter media?

Just because ammonia or nitrite are not detected in a random water test, doesn't mean there wasn't ammonia in the tank a day or two before the test.

Also, the highter the pH the deadlier ammonia becomes, so any ammonia in water with a pH over 8 is potentially deadly. That is why good biological filtration is the foundation of keeping fish alive and healthy.

K, my filter is flural 405, I set up the tank for over6 months. It's running good with cichlids before I put fronts & calvus. Like u said I should get water to test the PH or I have to droping more condition Aqua Plus into the tank. Now I feel confused & duno what I should do to make them whom getting better. thank for comments

K, my filter is flural 405, I set up the tank for over6 months. It's running good with cichlids before I put fronts & calvus. Like u said I should get water to test the PH or I have to droping more condition Aqua Plus into the tank. Now I feel confused & duno what I should do to make them whom getting better. thank for comments

Another possiblity is gill flukes or ich. Tanganyikins get harmed bad by them.

Sorry about this mess.

you should get a test kit and test your water yourself don't trust your lfs 100% i,ve done it with bad results...i,ve had real aggressive males in my tank but being that your are so small....i don't think you have a male yet being aggressive.....maybe oxygen levels are not high enough....if your fish are laying around on the bottom and not doing anything your fish might have bloat....i have gave this to my fronts by feeding too much blood worms and three died on me.....unsure wish i could help you sorry about your troubles...don't get to discourage as these are beautiful fish to keep and when they grow they get more colour good luck man

What I would do if I were you is add another filter, once the second filter has been added wait one month then clean the first filter, wait one more month then clean out the newer filter...

You can never have enough filtration on a tank.

Stability is an excellent product, as well as Prime.

I use one cap full of prime per water change in my 55 gal tank. Then I put in 5 capfulls of stability with every filter cleaning.

You can also add if you do not have already and air stone or strip to add oxigen to the tank.

Before repopulating your tank, wait until you have completed several water changes. Also ensure the current fish do not become ill.

I am sorry to hear about your losses...

I have had many as well...