What's eating the snails

timbruun

I'm just wondering what would be eating the snails I add to my tank. I've got a 90 gallon with a 4 inch oscar, 5 small silver dollars, a 7 inch watermellon pleco and a 3 inch vampire pleco. I've been adding ramshorn snails from my other tanks since I find they do a great job of keeping everything nice and spotless and they just don't stay alive. Would any of the fish be eating them?

are you seeing empty shells or are the shells disappearing too? i'd place bets on the oscar as well. mine goes after pond snails with a vengeance! lol.

the snails could also be finding really good hiding spots because they feel threatened by the fish. above mentioned pond snails sneaked their way into my filters to evade above mentioned oscar.

I worked in a pet store about 18yrs ago, and we had an oscar that we'd just move from tank to tank to clear out the snails. I had a few that I rescued a while back, and they even cleared out the MTS in the tank, too!