ameca splendids

Raven

The net is lacking in info and the only source of info I've been getting is from the person I'll be getting fish from. Wondering if people could share what they know please and thank you.

I did have them but found them "nippy". Ended up keeping them in a "species" tank. Not sure if perhaps other fish would've made better tank mates. Anybody else have some input???

I have a trio of them and yes, they are nippy, chewed the tails of my nice velvet lyrtail swords. But no more nippy then some small tiger barbs. So I put them in my community cichlid tank, and found they did really well. Could hold their own and actually nobody really bothered them or vise versa. And yes, I would always keep them as tank cleaners...they made quick work of all the algea on the plastic plants in there.

ok, ok, good. they will be with the others mentioned below. so if they are semi aggesive thats ok, i wont have to worry what the others will do.

These are going in the 29? Your plants will love you for it.

The best way to get them to behave is to make them find their own food.

Fat Ameca's are pugnacious - skinny ones wander all day. That action however, would starve your bottom feeders.

I find they are re-active; they chase the surrounding airspace. They are active @ all levels. Anyone is fair game. Oddly enough I have had about 100 in a species only 75 gallon and rarely a ripped fin to be seen. .

They leave my pl*co's alone, other than @ feeding time. They have no qualms whatsoever wrestling for food. :chair:

Very hard to catch standing still - here is a rare pic in focus

P1120939.jpg

Hi Raven,

This is a great website that gave me most of my information: http://www.goodeiden.de/html/splendens3.html

There are also many other cumulatively informative websites out there obtained by googling "ameca splendens" as someone previously mentioned.

I had guppies and mollies in with my Amecas and only the guppies' tails were nipped. I have them in a species only tank right now and a few in my community 55g to take care of the hair algae overwhelming the tank. They're quite voracious and I wouldn't argue that they will wrestle for food.

To watch the breeding behavior is truly entertaining if not fascinating. I haven't been lucky enough to watch the fry drop with their trophotaenia (umbilical cord equivalent) still visible, but highly enjoy seeing a new batch of fry in the morning.

i think i might of seen this one, i had been googling them for a while before making this thread, but found the majority of the info lacked detail.so any more info is a great help!

Got a nice pair settling in nicely, when the male colours up a bit more in a few days i'll get some pics up. I can already notice less algae on the glass ^.^