Somebody's been doing something bad!!

chloeclose

Oooooooooo I'm so excited!! -ham-

One of my labs I've kinda decided is a male, he is bigger, brighter, more 'show-offy' than the rest. Last little while I've noticed him chasing everyone else around. Couple nights ago I saw him for the first time doing a wierd, vibrating dance thing... very cool to see, btw!!

Anyways, today I see 2 labs with 'bulgy' mouths/chins! -ham-

They seemed like they wanted to eat but couldn't figure out how to get the food in without opening their mouths!! :lol:

OK, so now comes the questions... :rolleyes:

Aren't they a little young for this? They are only about 2-2 and a half inches... what kind of numbers can I expect?

Is it ok just to leave them in the main tank? I notice they are hiding quite a bit, acting a little wierd... will it be stressful for them to stay in there?

How long will they be holding for?

Is there anything I should or should not do?

I haven't actually decided whether or not I'm going to try and save any this time around... any thoughts on this??

Any and all advice will be much appreciated!! Thanks! :)

Aren't they a little young for this? They are only about 2-2 and a half inches... what kind of numbers can I expect?

My labs are just a bit bigger then 1" and they have started breeding. :) I believe 2-3" is normal.

Is it ok just to leave them in the main tank? I notice they are hiding quite a bit, acting a little wierd... will it be stressful for them to stay in there?

I leave my females in the tank for 2 weeks(to make sure they are going to hold and not spit) and then move then into their own tank. I do move them earlier if they are getting picked on.

How long will they be holding for?

They hold for about 21-28 days

Is there anything I should or should not do?

Keep an eye on them. IF they are being picked on move them out to their own tank.

I haven't actually decided whether or not I'm going to try and save any this time around... any thoughts on this??

I"m actaully deciding this for my 1" lab too. I decided that since its her first time holding it probably wont' be worth the stress to catch her and raise the fry. The brood size will probably be small considering her size.

Congrats! Always exciting the fish time fish spawn for you.

2" isn't too bad; my WC females are all no larger than 2.5" (I think the smaller two are probably under 2"). I only get about 8-12 from them, but you could expect more from captive raised fish (as many as 20 if you're lucky).

Good luck if you decide to try to keep the fry!

I would expect a nice brood around 12-15 from a fish this size. My freibergi have bred as small as .75", although I never bother to pull the mother out of the grow-out tank for fry.