High light and DIY CO2?

strayner

I recently purchased a 150 w metal halide pendant for my planted 29 gallon, which will push my lighting to ~5 wpg. Currently I am using 2x 2L pop bottles as my DIY CO2 generators. My question is if the CO2 is dissolved sufficiently enough in the aquarium (I will be getting a red sea 500 co2 reactor soon, currently it feeds through a power head), do I need to get into pressurized CO2?

If I need to get into pressurized CO2, what is the equipment I am going to need and roughly how much would it cost me? I'm not quite sure how the solenoid/regulator bits work.

Edited by strayner

For a pressurised system, you're probably looking in the $225 range. You can get one for a about half that going thru welding supply shops, but you have to know what you're looking for b/c they have no clue how to hook things up for a fish tank! I have a 2stage reg (measures pressure in the bottle and in the line on the way to the tank) with a bubble counter and solenoid all in one unit. The solenoid (when it worked) just plugs into the timer w. the lights (or its own timer to come on 1hr before the lights for optimum CO2).

so the solenoid is just for timing it? so you're not wasting co2? Would you know what to look for through welding supply? i can find the canisters but what kind of regulator am I looking for?

The tank and reg are easy to get at a welding supply store - I haven't found any displayed equipment with bubble counters (which actually REALLY easy to make) or solenoids (which I don't use anymore anyway - just pump the CO2 into a powerhead on a timer). You can stop into the shop and ask about their regs - most guys there are getting used to dealing with homebrew hobbyists, so you might be able to find what you're looking for just by asking some questions.

Oh, to get the bubble count right, you will need a needle valve. I have a Milwaukee 3-in-1 that retails for around $125, and is designed for the aquarium trade. I know Nature's Corner had them in stock, so give them a call. I also know that Big Al's sells them, but their price is going to be higher than NC.

If you want to stick w. DIY for a bit, I'd upgrade to 2 4L jugs (dring lots of Cranberry juice! :)) they last longer, which will allow you to keep the CO2 a bit more stable.

Oh, and break up your light schedule (4-6hr on/off cycles for a total of 12hrs on) to help keep algae at bay until you upgrade your CO2 system.

Edited by jvision

hmmm. Thanks for your advice! I'll look into visiting a shop, would you recommend any?

Is that needle valve compatible with all regulators? haha this is confusing!

Also, wouldn't the on / off cycles throw off the fishes' night and day cycle?

I've shopped at OxyPro a few times, not sure if anywhere else has better pricing.

As for the light cycle, if your tank is in a room w. a window, it won't be a problem, as the daytime 'off' times won't be pitch black. Just make sure the 'on' times are during the day, and your fishies won't suffer. :)

I've shopped at OxyPro a few times, not sure if anywhere else has better pricing.

As for the light cycle, if your tank is in a room w. a window, it won't be a problem, as the daytime 'off' times won't be pitch black. Just make sure the 'on' times are during the day, and your fishies won't suffer. :)

My room is a dungeon. Very little natural light gets in haha.

Oh, and break up your light schedule (4-6hr on/off cycles for a total of 12hrs on) to help keep algae at bay until you upgrade your CO2 system.

I've read that even 1-2 hours with the lights off in between five or six hour up time will do marvelous things in regard to combating algae. Algae doesn't have the efficiency to store energy the way plants do, so the on/off cycle hinders the algae.

Can I ask a question here?? Why such high light?? Just curious... Another suggestion would be to have the light further away.

Can I ask a question here?? Why such high light?? Just curious... Another suggestion would be to have the light further away.

I want a JUNGLE! (and the ability to grow the light demanding carpeting plants)

haha.

If the light is too intense like you said I can move it further away.

Edited by strayner

I've read that even 1-2 hours with the lights off in between five or six hour up time will do marvelous things in regard to combating algae. Algae doesn't have the efficiency to store energy the way plants do, so the on/off cycle hinders the algae.

This makes me want to move my aquarium closer to a window cause without the aquarium lights on it will be almost completely dark which would probably stress the fish!