Elephant sighting !

jewels

Got to see me an oddball yesterday :smokey: - if only for a second :blush:

A gentleman was in line ahead of me; picking up some sp. order fish at the LFS.

Pretty good size for a newly aquired , had to be @ least 3 inches.

The other specimen he made off with I did not recognize. It had the shape of a clown knife; although it was jetblack with two or more very well defined white splotches on the lower err, ahh, peduncle?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there are many 15 gallons that are over 24inches long. If it's suppose to grow to 25 they're wouldn't even be room to turn around or stay straight, expect to stunt the poor fish in a tank that small. Silly wikipedia.

expect to stunt the poor fish in a tank that small. Silly wikipedia.

Contrary to popular belief, "tank size" doesn't play a role in growth and growth rate of fish. The most important factors in fish growth, regardless of water volume, is water quality and nutrition.

Here is a quote from the article. Note it mentions when smaller (when you first purchase it)

"Black ghost knifefishes require a medium sized tank of (15-20 US gal)when smaller,

though as they grow larger will require a much larger tank of around (50 US gal)."

I fixed that actually Randy, and then added a tank size I felt would be a little more appropriate. It did only say a 10 gallon. And No you are most definitely right Evolution but with the smaller the volume of water once that fish gets bigger and bigger, the water will become rank quicker and quicker, and unless your doing huge daily water changes, then your small tank will probably stunt that gorgeous fish. But no you are right I suppose, but you can't tell me you agree with sticking such a fish that could grow so big, in such a little container, he'd barely have room to move.

Here is a quote from the article. Note it mentions when smaller (when you first purchase it)

"Black ghost knifefishes require a medium sized tank of (15-20 US gal)when smaller,

though as they grow larger will require a much larger tank of around (50 US gal)."

I fixed that actually Randy, and then added a tank size I felt would be a little more appropriate. It did only say a 10 gallon. And No you are most definitely right Evolution but with the smaller the volume of water once that fish gets bigger and bigger, the water will become rank quicker and quicker, and unless your doing huge daily water changes, then your small tank will probably stunt that gorgeous fish. But no you are right I suppose, but you can't tell me you agree with sticking such a fish that could grow so big, in such a little container, he'd barely have room to move.

The fish certainly needs the appropiate amount of living space... as much as possible, but I was just saying that it is water quality that stunts growth and not the tank size. And you are totally right about the copious water changes on a small tank to prevent the stunting. :)