Dry Ferts - PPS-Pro Method.

Morphine

Hey,

After recently aquiring a HUGE load of plants from our very own Jvision, I'm gettin more and more pushed into a huge planted tanks. All morning I've been searching around and trying to make sense of Ferts and Schedules and trying to decide which less confusing method I could go with. Well I think i've found one, and reseaching have found some very very nice planted tanks using this method alone. It's cheap very Cheap for a year and claims it requires no water changes -- Pffft Like right I would like to test that theory. Anyways here it is, if anyone has used to tried this method give me some feedback though I'm going to use it soon, I have to clear a 50G full of 3cm cichlids and their parents and sell it off along with a few other tank before I make a show tank.

It's called PPS-Pro http://sites.google....er/home/pps-pro It basically lays everything out there - When to dose - How to mix and if you go to the chemicals page It even lists a few sites to buy the dry ferts from. I've tried looking for local dealers and see in Heffs post that he has bought some from a local store - curious to see how much you paid I know you've said you have spent about 35$ for a year. I've emailed a dealer in Manitoba (My home province) that is willing to sell and ship to Alberta not sure how much it will cost in shipping i'm sure not to much, also waiting on a reply if he can ship dry ferts across border I know about the KH03 I believe which you can't unless liquid. Anyways long story short he is selling:

K2SO4 - Potassium Sulfate - 3$ / Lbs

KH2PO4 - MomPotassium Phosphate - 5$ / Lbs

MgSO4 - 2.50$ / Lbs

Dry Ferts - (2% MN, 7% FE, 0.4% Zn, 0.1% CU, 1.3% B, 0.06% Mo) - 7$ / Lbs

Now to make a 1 litre bottle of the Mix which you are dosing 1mL per 10G - you have 1,000 Doses in less then 1/4th of your supplies which should last you longer then a year depending on your tank size mine - 50G would be 5mL about 30minutes everyday before Lights on.

If I calc that right w/ shipping which should be around 10$ = 27$ ?

Like I said I've seen a few tanks just using the PPS-Pro Method here is a link to one of their journals if you want to have a look.

http://www.plantedta...gallon-56k.html

Anyways tell me what you guys think, If anyone wants to know the name of the guy that i'm waiting from answers from shoot me a PM. He is very quick with his emails and is going to get back to me on Prices / Shipping / Fert Specs and Exact prices (I threw at him those prices listed and he says they are the same but a double check) Should have answers by Friday as he's on holidays right now.

Edited by Morphine

I've been using a modified version of PPS-Pro. Definitely one of the more hassle free methods out there. I use Flourish products instead of the trace mix, and was omitting the Mg mix (hard Calgary water.) Now that I've moved, I may end up adding the MgSO4 back in since Red Deer's water doesn't seem to have as quite as much Mg.

claims it requires no water changes -- Pffft Like right I would like to test that theory.

The method does not advocate that you never need water changes. It means that you don't have to do it every week to reset the fert levels like the EI method requires. I like this because my water change schedule is often erratic. My dosing is too.

not sure how much it will cost in shipping i'm sure not to much, also waiting on a reply if he can ship dry ferts across border I know about the KH03 I believe which you can't unless liquid.

Just go buy the stuff locally and save on the shipping.

Kinda feeling pushed out here... I didn't say that I wouldn't be doing wc's, I simply said what the other article did and if you would have read it you would have seen it does in fact say no water changes. Also is he spent 35$ for the same stuff why wouldn't I save 10$ and get it shipped.

Also evolution if I ship it from Manitoba that is supporting Canadian companies where did you go to school?

Morphine, I spent about $15 on 250g of KH2PO4 and 250g of KNO3 in 1L of water. Based on the initial mix I made up this morning, this should last me years.

I'm mostly following a couple of suggestions from these posts:

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/planted-aquarium/low-tech-planted-tank-guide/

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/433-Non-CO2-methods

Sounds pretty low maintenance, so we'll see how it goes.

Kinda feeling pushed out here... I didn't say that I wouldn't be doing wc's, I simply said what the other article did and if you would have read it you would have seen it does in fact say no water changes.

Sorry- didn't mean to sound pushy. :boxer: Just didn't want those unfamiliar with this method to think "no water changes ever", but rather that water changes aren't scheduled as part of the routine (eg. 50% per week like EI.) Obviously, you would do them according to whatever volume and timing suits your tank.

If you want to read more on PPS, there's a whole sub-forum (with feedback from the system's creator) on Aquatic Plant Central.

i use pps pro, and it works great. i would never go back to the store bought aquarium ferts.

i dont want to say how long i have gone with out a water change, but it was quite a long time. all of the fish and plants were healthy and the water parameters were good.

i sometimes forget to dose once and a while, and i have not noticed any negative side affects

i bought the ferts in a store in Calgary. quick grow on Edmonton trail for about $50 i have a few years supply.