Tank contamination Problem..help!

Kayen

So on Tuesday morning i woke up... realized my DIY CO2 had been siphoned into the tank , about 1 liters worth, fish didn't look happy. Did a WC , 90% , and followed that with another 40% .

So far half the tank has died, and the 2 centerpiece Angels have died off, one just having died just a little while ago (couple hours) .

What should i do ?

I'm thinking tomorrow after work i pick up a cheap 10g, and transfer all the fish into that and let them hang tight.

Remaining fish is a few minnows, Gold Gourami, oto, nerite snail, and an SAE.

It's the 33gallon. I'll do a bunch of water changes after i'm home from work tomorrow ! (5ish) .

There's this white stringy stuff, and flaky stuff all around, what is it ?

Edited by Kayen

Yeah I would recommend keeps on doing water changes! If you get a 10Gal and put the fish in there without being cycled you might get an ammonia spike and kill them all! On the safe side maybe add more Carbon and Sponges.

This happened to me several years ago and I was shocked when I saw the tank in the morning. Surprisingly two large clown loaches survived but 3 beautiful plecos and all my rainbow fish died overnight. I have never used DIY C02 again. I did two large water changes and cleaned my filter really well and the tank was clear within 48 hours.

In the new tank, i'd be tossing in a bunch of Java ferns, and Anubias for them to live in the time being, as well my filtration system is 2 HOB's and 2 powerheads, i plan to move the 2 powerheads over, as they have well established media, and as of now the fish that remain are a few minnows, and a Gold Gourami (who's survived through alot of bad happenings, Labyrinth fish are quite hardy) .

The white stringy stuff is bacteria - it's a fairly strong sugar-solution that's been dumped into your tank, and those bacteria love it.

I remember several years ago, I had a tank with Apistos and some somewhat rare dwarf cats in it. I also kept candies on my desk to share with anyone who wanted some. Well, one night the Graphic Artist came in do catch up, bringing his kid along with him. Well the little guy decided that the fish would like some candies too, so he dropped in a couple gummy candies. I got in the next morning and the tank was so cloudy, I couldn't see the back! And, it was just a 10gal! I did a 90% WC (left just enough H2O to cover the fish) and hoped that at least something would survive... DIDN'T LOSE A FISH!

The key is lots of aeration. The bacteria will consume a lot of O2, but if you have strong current, you should be OK - the HOBs will do a good job of providing O2.