breeding rams

Darren88

Do you have a nice group of them? If you setup the conditions properly (aquascape a layout where they can breed), and they dont have constant disturbance from oher fishes (preventing the spawning from occuring), it should work out. Make sure the temperature is just right and do a larger water change. Should spark some activity.

i have mine spawn and raise the fry up to free swimming every month or 2, i just have them in a properly aquascaped 33 gallons with a temp around 80. It s heavily planted and has high tech lighting and co2. The fry make it to free swimming and usually get eaten up fairly quickly. I would recomend breeding them in a 25g with a couple dither fish to keep the parents on guard and you'd have better success... unless that 120 is a species tank lol....

i think i read somewher that rams come from waters with very few predators so they don't have to develop the extensive parenting skills of other fish

I found I could trigger my Bolivian Rams to spawn after a day of fasting, followed by a big water change (75% in a heavily planted hi-tec 33g) and a feed on some fresh brine shrimp...but then the corydora's would waste little time mopping up the free swimmers once the lights were out :(

Not a great pic, my Bolivian ram with fry...

IMG_5322a1.jpg

I have a flat stone Darren that I have set up as a lean-too for my axolotl but he much prefers his hut or hollowed log to play in. Just swing by the house and grab it. (It's got a bit of algae coating, nothing serious though.)

On the subject, I've had a pair of GBR spawn a couple times but never gotten the eggs to hatch. They are either eaten up by the parents within a day or they get a fuzzy mold on them. The pair is in a well planted 20 gallon long with cardinals and a bristlenose pleco. I have a spare 10 that I could easily setup as a fry tank. Any suggestions or tips on how to increase the success of hatching and raising the fry?

Thanks