food ideas for an oscar?

BettaFishMommy

My point is the person who wrote that article that you linked to this thread to which you are using to back up your salt claims says that oscars have a "photo period" and "chickens explode when they eat too much." I suggest to you to take anything written in that article with 1 teaspoon of salt per 5 gallons of water. I am however, in no way implying that you do not know how to take care of your fish. My comments are in reference to the links provided. Here is an article regarding salt use in a freshwater aquarium. 'The Skeptical Aquarist' is a column found in the magazine TROPICAL FISH HOBBIEST (TFH).

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/salt.shtml

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I feed my oscars

Hikari food sticks

Hikari massivore pellet

NLS 7.5mm pellet

raw prawns

krill

beef heart

bananas

deshelled peas for the greens in there diet

jumbo dew worms

superworms

crickets

small frogs

Boyds vita chem vitamins

Be careful with beef heart. If your going to feed it, do what i do. Buy a 1/4 of a heart, cut it up, cut out ALL fat and veins only leaving red meat. After this, let meat soak in cold water to leach out the blood. Dry pieces of meat in paper towel to get out the water. Inject boyds vita chem to give it nutrition with all that beef. Beefheart is better this way. Its good for bulking up a oscar in its growth spurt because of the large amounts of protein. Also remember that the more diverse diet, the healthier the fish will because it will be getting everything it needs. I feed my two oscars that exact diet and here is what they look like...

wo.jpg

o.jpg

oscar.jpg

A small amount of salt is natural in freshwater. Key word small. It is good for the fishes health, it mineralizes the water... Brackish is not salt nor freshwater, and freshwater fish will not tolerate it.

I feed my 12.5" Oscar NLS pellets and massivore with raw prawn sometimes.

A small amount of salt is natural in freshwater. Key word small. It is good for the fishes health, it mineralizes the water... Brackish is not salt nor freshwater, and freshwater fish will not tolerate it.

I feed my 12.5" Oscar NLS pellets and massivore with raw prawn sometimes.

The mineral content of Alberta water is one of the highest in the country, possibly North America. Salt, aquarium salt, is sodium chloride (NaCl), which is part metal and part chlorine- no minerals there. This ionic compound is not normally natural in fresh water and it's even rarer in South American black water to which oscar evolved in. I am also yet to find any information anywhere as to how the continued use of salt in freshwater tanks is good for a fishes health. And brackish water or esterine water is salt water, but at a lower salinity than marine water.

red o is that first oscar a wildcaught? Sure looks nice.

I wondered that too. If that is it's true colours- it's gotta be one of the nicest I've ever seen.

He sure is! Don't see many matured green wild oscars in the hobby, but I got one :thumbs:

I wondered that too. If that is it's true colours- it's gotta be one of the nicest I've ever seen.

He sure is! Don't see many matured green wild oscars in the hobby, but I got one thumbup.gif

Did you enhance the picture's colour?

He sure is! Don't see many matured green wild oscars in the hobby, but I got one thumbup.gif

Did you enhance the picture's colour?

No, that is his color.. He is green?