Questions, My 40g planted has a small problem

ReefKeeper

I started my tank in April of this year and last night I was looking in the tank and notices a film on the surface. So I grabbed a small net and proceeded to scoop off the film. My Question is what is this film and where does it come from? It was a clear sort of film but it scooped off the water and kind of piled into the net. My tank has fluorite black as a substrate with Amazon Swords, Red Mellon Sword. dwarf grass and some micro swords. I run a pressurized co2 system @ 1-2 drops/sec and an ehiem 2213 canister filter. I also added fluorite tabs in the substrate every 90 days life the LFS suggested plus add liquid fluorite 5ml. every other week. My numbers are PH 7.4 Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrites 0ppm, Nitrates 0ppm. I can not figure out why this film is forming, am I doing some thing wrong.

Thanks In Advance

Protein film? I've had it in the past and used a trickle skimmer to get rid of it (<$20)... In my 90g planted I have an air stone that turns on a night (timers, Co2 & lights turn off and the air pump turns on), the surface agitation takes care of it in that tank...

Totally normal, you're not doing anything wrong. If you don't like it, a little bit of surface agitation will help keep it clear (not so much that you're losing all your CO2). Surface Scum

i had a similar problem with my 55 gallon tank, and i cured it with a power head with the airline attachement... within a day the scum was gone

Thank you for all sugestions I think I will add an air pump to turn on at night as well as get some floating java moss. What do you guys think? Where Is the best place for picking up plants in the Edmonton area?

Edited by ReefKeeper

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I went to big Al's and picked up a surface skimmer and an air stone. Installed the air stone and the skimmer. I also adjusted my canister return to brake the water surface. What a difference in water clarity. But one bad note to this is that my son sat on my glass lid and broke it now I have alot of water evaporation round 3 gallons a week. And I also have green hair algae growing, What is the best way to stop that?

Nitrates 0ppm.

Regardless of the type of algae involved - the response is always two part

Yah, I 've had it - yah, its nasty.

How much light you pouring on that?

There is an upper limit to light intensity; regardless of C02 concentration.

Not sure if you are there or not.

Plants will not grow without N

If it were I

1. Increase Nitrate
  2. Increase CO2
  3. If all else fails - reduce light intensity (not photoperiod)

Do you have a test kit?

Ideally: add as much N in the morning as you can -whilst still getting a zero reading the next morn.

In addition to the above post,...

If it was my tank, I'd...

Only run the skimmer at night,

Re-adjust the filter outlet so it isn't breaking the surface,

Run at least 4bpm co2 during the day,

Add some more fish,

Increase water circulation with a power head at lower levels.

Is the tank heavily planted? Any pics of the tank?

Edited by cale262

Is there water in there? :w00t:

Algae? Looks like you set that up yesterday!

Thats a rare beauty you got there!!

My advice is lacking - in that you are without stem/bunch plants

As you know, they feed more heavily off the water column.

Ideally: add as much N in the morning as you can -whilst still getting a zero reading the next morn.

I feed my tank what it will consume in a day.

I am having second thoughts @ this point. :boxed:

You are root feeding what else can I guy do?

Looks like you know exactly what that tank is after.

Is that a 36" ?

I am still curious , , ,

How much light overhead?

What you are saying is I need to add some more fish to the system to add more nitrates? I will turn off the skimmer and only use it when the surface scum gets to heavy. I will also redirect the filter outlet so it does not break the surface. The tank is 36" long 20" high and I think 14" wide. The light is a 2 bulb T-5 6500k and 1 white and 1 pink or red tinge to it.

When you have lots of light, you must feed your plants - fish poop just doesn't cut it. The most important nutrient is Carbon, then your N-P-K, then micronutrients like iron. This MCI discussion (start reading at post 210, about 2/3 down the page) will help you understand a lot about nutrient imbalance and what can cause algae.

IMO, products like Flourish are only useful if your tank is moderately planted and has under 2wpg. If you're going for a "real planted tank", then I have found it a lot easier and cheaper to use dry ferts, dosing my N, P and micronutrients separately (K always comes with the N & P in dry ferts).