string and or hair algae

Jesse

Hello,

I am pretty new to keeping a tank and unfortunately I am experiencing a nasty attack of string and hair algae on my live plants, It is a 90 gallon tank I am hoping someone has a solution for the problem before it chokes out my plants I would prefer not to go with chemicals if possible, please what can I do?

Do you fertilize? CO2? What is your lighting schedule? How heavily planted is your tank? Have any small Siamese Algae Eaters yet?

no fertilizer or CO2, have cut the lighting down dramatically only a couple hours a day at best scared to go any less than that because the plants still need some light right? I did add 4 small siamese algae eaters today, tank is not overgrown with plants lightly planted I would say. Did not know if the addition of shrimp or anything else would help. I am hoping the Siamese Algae Eaters will start to get rid of some of it soon before I lose some plants.

I would suggest adding some fast growing plants (like pennywort, naja grass, swords, sagitaria subulata, vals, etc.) maybe dose with Excel...I have had to battle with HA b4 too and it's a pain in the A$$ for sure. If you can, just remove as much of the HA as you can, I found using a baby bottle brush was a good tool for this 'cause you just keep winding it up. Hopefully your SAE work their magic too. Other HA eaters that people often use are Ameca Splendens, but IME they are aggressive as heck, other people find them ok. Good Luck!

I haven't encountered any problems with Ameca Spendends aggression. If you would like some (free)let me know. Also have vallisneria plants (don't know the sub-species name) for free, they are pretty hardy and aren't bothered by algae. Located near Whyte and Gateway in Edmonton.

I haven't encountered any problems with Ameca Spendends aggression. If you would like some (free)let me know. Also have vallisneria plants (don't know the sub-species name) for free, they are pretty hardy and aren't bothered by algae. Located near Whyte and Gateway in Edmonton.

Wow sailfinja if I have to go that route I will definately contact you, I don't know much about Ameca Spendends other than the wikipedia version, I am not saying it is accurate but I fear for the cardinal tetras lol. I am hoping the SAE and maybe some shrimp will help tame the HA do any of you know if the shrimp will help with the HA or is that wishful thinking? Vallisneria plants are they the ones that look like giant blades of grass? I could definately use some more plants in the tank and would be interested.

Could anyone please tell me how likely it would be that these Ameca Splendends would attack any shrimp if they were in the same tank?

Pretty much any fish will try to eat shrimp. I go by, if it fits in their mouth they will eat it and if it doesn't, they will still try.

Adult Amano shrimp should be ok as they are large enough not to be eaten by smaller fish.