sourcing material for a canopy

dunl

Anyone know where I might be able to find some of that mel-a-whatever that Hagen stands are made out of, that would be scrap material? I'm looking to make a canopy for my 77, but don't really want a crap load of it left over if possible....

Thanks,

Dunl

If it is melamine you are looking for, Home Depot would sell partial sheets. (white only) They do sell black, but you need to buy the whole sheet.

You could check with cabinet companies (perhaps Thomson Cabinets-Red Deer) They do alot of commercial work. Maybe they have some.

One word of warning though, that stuff isn't very water resistant. Please make sure you have some good air flow in the back.

As well, what did you hope to use for finishing the cut edges? If black is what you need, it may be hard to find black tape. (the iron-on type) I have seen it before, but it was the type that the edge-banding machine applies the glue in the whole process, not the pre-glued. Must be out there though.

Let me know if you go this route, I can check with a few suppliers in Calgary.

Good luck!

Rob

It is 1 block east of Home Building Center. I can't think of the exact address (and kinda too lazy to look it up @ the moment!)

Home Building Center is a couple blocks east of Gaetz-Head east @ Totem intersection, and follow the road around the bend. Take a right in front of Home Building Center, and it is just down the street on the left hand side.

I will see if I can track down the exact address though, my directions are crappy!

They also have a bunch of glass shelves (THICK) ranging in sizes there for $5 each. (some that are 48"X13") Every time I am there, I keep thinking of what a square tank like that would be like.

A person could make quite a few tanks for cheap if the dimensions worked for them though.

Fortunately I keep resisting the temptation though.. :grr: