Rescaping my 90 Gallon

Blue Ram

In the next week or so I am going to redo my 90 gal discus (8 adult discus) tank that has been set up for a couple of years. I'm removing the gravel and a very large piece of driftwood that takes up 1/3 of the tank. I plan on creating a terrace in the back portion of the tank using mostly dark fluorite (not black) substrate. I'm considering using a piece of plexiglass to shape and hold the fluorite where I want and then in front of the plexiglass using some rocks to break up the line where the substrate will change to white pool filter sand. I'm hoping with this, I can keep the two substrates more or less separate. I'll use the fluorite to plant some plants although I prefer to keep the tank quite open as the discus are well accustomed to being out in the open. I'll have some small pieces of driftwood in the tank for hiding spots for the bottom dwelling fish.

Since the tank is open top, I thought I would try a plant that would grow out of the tank or something that doesn't need to be planted. Do not want anything too big. Have a 4' double T5HO light - no C02.

Looking for some suggestions and/or comments on what I'm considering.

Sounds like a cool idea! Also sounds like a lot of work, will you be removing the fish while you re-aquascape?

btw: In Edmonton, I saw a similar set up like the one you're describing and it looked really cool...though I didn't really see how they accomplished it...which I guess is the point...lol

Don't know if this is what you have in mind, but it comes to mine. Having something like tiger vals in the corners growing up and then curling toward the centre of the tank at the surface. Would have a presence without taking up space for the discus to swim.

is there specific type/brand of pool filter sand you will be using? when purchasing pool filter sand is there anything i should watch for that isn't suitable for a fish tank? I'm considering using it for a future tank and am curious?

The tank sound like a great idea, before and after pics would be awesome!

Thanks

Vince

I like the Quickrete brand of Play Sand, as it seems to be a bit coarser than other brands of play sand that is too dusty. Quickrete used to rinse their sand, but the last bag I bought did cloud the water some when I just poured it into a full tank, but there was no clouding when I added it to a new tank.

I do like the idea of tiger vals - I'll have to try and find some - usually some at the CAS auction. I'm buying my sand at a pool and spa store in town because it is off white not tan colour and its usually really clean. I rinsed it once the last time I used it. It's really common in the states in discus tanks. Any sand will do but I like the lighter colour and the texture is not rough or abrasive.