Suggestions for a Glowing Reef?

I'm currently new to the hobby and cycling a 35 gallon with 60 lbs live rock, 45lbs argonite and a remora skimmer. I've got 2x36" GLO T5HO's and I want to get a crazy glow in the dark tank going once my cycle is complete. I haven't done much research on the matter yet but I've noticed a decent number of corals and anemones at my LFS have some sort of photo-luminessence that would make them glow in the dark and I wasn't sure if there was a certain trick involved in keeping them. Do these specimens need actinic bulbs? Or do these lights just accentuate whats already glowing? What species would you all recommend for sweet glow in the dark tank?

Cheers

Good actinics are the only way to get good glow out of any corals. You can also try good blue LED's to make colors pop. Any corals with neon tips will glow nicely. I have an awesome glow with frog spawn, hammer coral, torch coral, candy canes, and bright colored zoas/zoos. Pretty much anything with a neon glow in your LFS will be good under the right light.

Sweet...thanks for the heads up. My lights came with a couple of 6700k LIFEGLO bulbs but no actinics. Is it nessessary to stagger the lights (12hrs of whites and 12hrs of actinics) for optimum coral growth? Or should I have them mixed (white and actinics together) for 12 hrs and then have darkness for the other 12? Please let me know what you think

• 2 months later...