Cold Water Fish Ideas

Jayba

My 5 year old daughter has saved her pennies and now has a 5 gallon tank for her room. I need some ideas for cold water fish for her. Would like to avoid the goldfish thing. Also a couple of fish would make her and the fish happier. "Pretty ones" are what she would like to buy. Anyone ever kept endlers at room temp? Any other ideas? Platys? Betas? Looking for some help please. Thanks Jay.

Bettas would work, also a lot of the killies are fine at room temperature. Obviously you don't want to go with annuals, as you want to delay that teary phase (the one you get when a hamster or fish dies.) as long as possible. Some of the smaller SA non annuals would work I think, but a lot of them are very subtle in their beauty.

As Wack said, white clouds would work really well. I'd stay away from goldfish, they give off a lot of fishy slimecoat smell. Not very pleasant for a little girls room.

In a unheated 5g I'm a fan of the betta/zebra snail/shrimp combo. Bettas are good "pet" fish as they interact a lot with the owner and can have quite the personality. The shrimp/snail also help keep the tank clean and add some neat things to watch.

But if you want a school of fish, i'd also suggest the white cloud minnows as they like an unheated tank. You can get them in regular or long finned varieties and they are quite pretty.

I've also kept zebra danios in an unheated tank a few times.

• 1 month later...

In a unheated 5g I'm a fan of the betta/zebra snail/shrimp combo. Bettas are good "pet" fish as they interact a lot with the owner and can have quite the personality. The shrimp/snail also help keep the tank clean and add some neat things to watch.

But if you want a school of fish, i'd also suggest the white cloud minnows as they like an unheated tank. You can get them in regular or long finned varieties and they are quite pretty.

I've also kept zebra danios in an unheated tank a few times.

I agree betta is a great pet and there are many pretty colored males (some females) for a girl to choose from. They don't require that much care as I have left mine with the boyfriend over the summer..they didn't get any water changes and barely fed and they survived just fine. Although this isn't ideal obviously they are hearty. You could have a snail and shrimp (if hiding places available).

Guppies would probably do okay if they had a light or small heat source...she could have more than one pretty fish that way.

I don't know anything about white cloud minnows.

Other fish I'm not sure but goldfish do smell and produce a lot of waste....more maintenance and not as interactive as betta (majority).