How did I get this stupid idea in my head about endlers?

DanGofCalgary

So, on some forum somewhere I read that endlers were extinct in the wild.

So at the auction this weekend I throw that out in conversation, and everyone is looking at me like I just rode in on the short bus....

ah well, that will learn me for not checking sources.

Their natural habitat of origin is gone, so the original Endler's are extinct - everything we have in the hobby is descended from that population that is now gone. I'm sure there are wild populations of Endler's livebearers out there - they breed like guppies (yes, I know - they are guppies).

Their natural habitat of origin is gone, so the original Endler's are extinct - everything we have in the hobby is descended from that population that is now gone.

Interesting. I did not know this. What happened to their original habitiat? I will google it later, but if you have a link to stories regarding it, would be interesting to know.

Thanks

dan

Like Jason said, their original collection site(Laguna de Patos) in the wild is gone. A dump has been built next to the lagoon. Does that mean that every single wild endler is dead, no, there is always a chance there is a small population out there. What that means for the hobby is that they are presumed extinct in the wild and no new fish are collected.

I thought so too I mean or else how could they be this expensive? Last, last auction some bag of "pure" endler guppies when for like 20 bucks and even now I can't tell the difference between pure endlers and feeders o.o

I think that the correct word is extirpated which means regionally extinct or from a particular habitat.

Regardless the true endler is no longer in its happy lagoon as already mentioned, so don't worry about your comment at the auction. You were more or less correct.