Filter Set-ups

sherlock

i'm running an AC110 as well:

took two rectangular pieces of black sponge and shoved them in the bottom of the basket so they fit side by side, short sides touching. on top of that i added 8 chunks of an AC110 sponge cut up into rectangles, placed side by side all the way across the basket. on top of that a few good handfuls of loose biomax.

what's great about the above is that if anyone needs filter media to jump start a tank, i can easily take out a number of those 8 chunks of AC110 sponge for the new tank without harming my bacteria count in my tank, and just replace those chunks with new sponge. also makes rinsing sponges in the bucket of tank water sooooo much easier! seemed i could never get all the gunk out of the middle of the big AC sponge before.

On my AC's if they get any mechanical filtration it's a sponge over the intake. I take the basket out and cram as many pot scrubbies as I can - I think I have 16 in my AC500.

For canisters, I usually fill the bottom baskets with scrubbies, top basket is 1/2 scrubbies and 1/2 foam or floss for mechanical.

• 1 year later...

On my canister filters I use filter floss, and that's it. It means I have to clean the filters about once a month to get the mulm out of the first basket, but it polishes the water well. I just fill the sink with aquarium water, squeeze the floss till it's clean, (repeat as needed) chuck it back in the filter and voila. You can also buy it from Fannies Fabrics for next to nothing.