Digression - Emersion

jewels

the only issue with growing plants Emmersed (Immersed is when they are underwater, btw) is that you will have some 'melting' happen as plants adjust to their new environment when you go to move them underwater later.

True - so whats the big deal ?

I see articles on emersed growth left and right. Why ?

What am I missing ?

the only issue with growing plants Emmersed (Immersed is when they are underwater, btw) is that you will have some 'melting' happen as plants adjust to their new environment when you go to move them underwater later.

True - so whats the big deal ?

I see articles on emersed growth left and right. Why ?

What am I missing ?

I tried to grow glosso emmersed, but it all 'melted' and died off so thats the big deal. Worked for pigmy sword though, it just died then came back. HM wasn't even fazed though, I noticed no 'melting' when I tried it for this plant.

I have purchased some of these "emersed" plants and had little luck with them. If I'm to purchase some of them again, I'd like to buy them from someone who's growing them submersed in Calgary water. I know I've killed more plants than I grow and would like to even that out if I can.

Jewels,

Can't believe you used that as a signature but i'm LMAO -roll- -roll- -roll- -roll- Must admit, I may change one of my lights to try to get more of my swords to flower. My marble queen loves to send runners as it's in over 4 watts per gallon but that's the only sword that does it. It's latest runner is over 2 feet long and has tried to strangle the cat!!

There are numerous of reasons to growing emersed over submersed.

To name a few,

Lower cost of production,

hardier in shipping

easier to adapt to new tank environment

Can cram more in tighter space.

less prone to water pest.

Easier to sanitized the environment.

Plant idenfication. flowering can help with plant identification a bit easier.

Reasons do overlap.

Reason why some people don't go with submersed.

A lot of plants do favor and are grown in soft water. By getting plants from outside the city or tanks with a different water chemistry, one will not know how well the plants will do in much harder water (Calgary) without trying.

Misconception plants died in their tank because it was emersed growth and not submersed.

Emersed growth has less tendency to melt when moving from a different water source say, from Sinagpore, or Vancouver to Calgary.

Plant can easily go from emersed to submersed, but not visa versa. If a plant is not transitioning into the submersed form,

A. the plant is dead

B. the environment (water, light, CO2,etc) is not suitable for the plant

C. Not a true aquatic plant

Growing emersed takes a different approach than aquarium planted tank. If you want to grow emersed, follow the hydroponic approach.

With aquarium, we have fish waste to give the plant some nutrients. In emersed culture, the plants don't have that luxury and soil is a terrible growing media for emersed culture.

Edited by EDGE