New Light -20 G

Sierra

I have been reading and there are so many different opinions I thought it's better to ask about my tank specifically.

I want a high light tank and have one light (hood) setup. How high wattage bulb should I get? Recommendations?

Tank is getting new substrate after the light is upgraded.

Recent DIY CO2 and have been using a sponge filter.

If anyone wants to throw around ideas for a black substrate for a high lit, heavily planted tank...that's cool too.wink.gif

you could go with black flourite as long as you don't have cories (i've read that the flourite can be a lil too sharp for their barbels).

if your light strip is for T8 bulbs then you are limited on what you can do light-wise, unless you upgrade to a better fixture. T5 is the next step up and is great for growing plants, while still being 'somewhat' cost effective.

if you are sticking with your current light fixture, then go for the 'flora-glo' bulbs. their spectrum is best suited for plants. my 55 you saw the other day, it has two T8 40 watt flora-glo bulbs over it.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

I second BettaFishMommy's suggestion on the Flourite Black. I currently have 2 bags of this waiting to go in a 20g I am about to set up. Eco Complete is also good(I use on my 50g) but I have read that it increases the hardness of the water(which we probably don't want since we already have hard water here). I think you definitely want to go with something black! It really makes the fish stand out. Also it is said that many fish prefer a dark substrate. If you are a good DIY'er you might want to check out how to make Mineralized Top Soil. It is said to work wonders for some people.

As for lighting I think you will want about 60 watts of lighting on a 20g. Especially if it is T5HO you won't need any more then 60. Personally I would recommend the Aquatic Life Freshwater T5HO. They each have 2 39w lamps and I have 2 of them on my 50g and they serve me well! In fact I have only been using one as of late because with 2 the plants grow soooooooooooooooooooooooo fast it is just too much work to keep up with the trimming and pruning.

Hope this helps!

I thought it's better to ask about my tank specifically.

I want a high light tank and have one light (hood) setup. How high wattage bulb should I get? Recommendations?

, , , your tank specifically - is how long ?

, , , you have a one light hood ?

A T5 39 watt would only fit in a 36 inch fixture.

If you are only looking for a bulb to go in the hood you have, then the wattage will be restricted to what the ballast hosts. ( the replacement bulb will be identical in wattage to the one you already have.)

I have a twenty gallon that came with the standard fixture , it holds a t8f15 bulb.

With a pce of glass for a canopy I added two more identical fixtures for a grand total of 45 watts.

Thats just over two watts/gallon - about right for diy C02

The fixtures are , , ,like , , ,10 bucks each @ the hardware store.

If anyone wants to throw around ideas for a black substrate for a high lit, heavily planted tank...that's cool too.

I hear hagen has a new substrate - looks interesting :D

Well for now I picked up a life-glo bulb..I ran into a guy at the pet store and he sold me on the yellow for long lasting medium growing plants compared to other colors that change speed but then die out etc etc...uh so I kinda just went with it. I think they are already looking happier after a day... possible maybe?

I second BettaFishMommy's suggestion on the Flourite Black. I currently have 2 bags of this waiting to go in a 20g I am about to set up. Eco Complete is also good(I use on my 50g) but I have read that it increases the hardness of the water(which we probably don't want since we already have hard water here). I think you definitely want to go with something black! It really makes the fish stand out. Also it is said that many fish prefer a dark substrate. If you are a good DIY'er you might want to check out how to make Mineralized Top Soil. It is said to work wonders for some people.

Where did you buy your fluorite from?? Thanks rolleyes.gif

may i ask why you want a high light setup?

I like research, but I don't often have the time I want to be confident that most of the plants I put in will do fine. I think that makes sense ?

yes but light is only a small part of a planted tank. And the easiest to control...

Many have proven even in low light setups most plants can be grown.

The key to plants is balance. The problem is people thinks light means healthier plants

but that couldn't be farther from the truth. The more light the harder the tank is to balance.

Ferts are easy just following a dosing schedule, theres many out there. But c02 is tough with

high light. Diy's are way to inconsistent for a high light setups so pressurized will be your only option.

You can subsidize c02 with a carbon additive like excel but why bother if you dont have to. You mentioned you don't have a

lot of time so i suggest going with a low to mid light setup. It will be way less work.

i would suggest going with medium light (between 1 and 1.5 watts per gallon), and choosing plants that will work well with that amount of light. if you have a busy schedule you don't want to be worrying about co2, trimming plants all the time, keeping everything in balance, etc.

i don't use co2 and only dose Flourish (when i remember, lol), and my planted tank is doing great, even after a big rescape recently. heck, i have crypts floating that have new leaves in the past couple days!

Alright that makes more sense. I did read about that specific problem but it was mentioned so few times I disregarded it. unsure.gif

I think I already mentioned I already bought a bulb and pretty sure it put me at medium. Well I don't understand some people go W/G some just go by wavelengths but yes.. I'm just going with it see how it goes probably work out then good after what you said here. Good news for me lol.

My CO2 I will leave for now and see and so the way I understand.. if it doesn't do well carbon fertilizer..like excel?? It's only a small tank after all... for now muhahahashifty.gif

I think you've got some excellent advice and would advise to start simple and have success with your plants. Myself, I changed substrate, lights, ferts and added CO2 but it took a couple of years and I didn't do everything at once. Now, I have 6 tanks between 3-4 watts per gallon(I like the wpg thing myself) and find them pretty easy to take care of and have no major algae issues. Am saving my pennies for my next lighting upgrade(doubling the wpg) as I'm having some success with my swordplants blossoming and want more of them to flower!!!

I'm working on becoming a master horticulturist with my club's HAP program but still can't grow houseplants :bang1: