big ramshorn snails

rompergoddess

hello again! well, I think I have found something aquatic to be passionate about, again!!! Ramshorn Snails, the big guys, not the little ones, and apple snails in general. Saw a pic of a beautilful Blue apple snail, want one!!! Does anybody out there know where I might get some Ramshorns, and possible a blue apple snail? Also, can these two cross breed? I know that one lays above the water, and one lays eggs below, but my apple sure is trying to make "happy" with my ramshorn. I understand that they are of the same "breed", but am confused about the behaviour I am seeing. Any advice, or help would be greatly appreciated. I was down at Big Al's, last week, and I paid six dollars for one little snail! Couldn't believe it. Is this a fair price, or is it too much for a ramshorn? Also saw lots of what I thought were mts all over the aquariums, asked about it and was told they were pest snails, and no i couldn't have any. Anyhow, any advice or information sure would be appreciated.

Thank you!

The "pests" are MTS. If you're in Edmonton, you can have as many as you want - just shoot me a PM. I really don't think Ramshorns and Apples can interbreed - they're probably different Genus' and probably different Families.

The "pests" are MTS. If you're in Edmonton, you can have as many as you want - just shoot me a PM. I really don't think Ramshorns and Apples can interbreed - they're probably different Genus' and probably different Families.

thank you for the information, it helps alot to be able to talk to a knowledgeable person about this , as I have been researching on the net, but it has some very confusing information that seems to contradict each other! will pm you thanks again!

apples and ramshorns definitely cannot cross-breed.

i wish i was still breeding and raising my apples! you could have had a gorgeous blue or two for only a couple bucks each. stores sure love to gouge us on prices....... lol. other than some decent looking goldens at petsmart, i haven't seen any worth buying lately.

maybe it's time to get back into breeding the snails. i used to have jades, ivories, goldens, and blues. they sure were cute lil buggers. hmmmm...... i do have a 20 gallon sitting empty, waiting for inspiration to hit me...... :hey: might just have to get back into shellkid mode!

Petsmart in west edmonton had some big mystery snails, about the size of foose balls! they looked healthy as well, i saw them there yesterday. They looked like with a little garlic butter they would be delicious.

Edited by Jo3l