Suggestions Please

James2009

I use ac50s on all my 20 gallon tanks. Just have to make sure the intake is clean all the time with all the plant leaves. They seem to work really well!!

I use an Eheim Ecco 2234 on my 20g tank. The filter is rated at 165 gph iirc and the tank only holds 18 gallons of water. I had to install a spraybar though because the flow was too powerful for my delicate threadfin rainbows.

if you don't plan on doing co2 for your plants then a hob filter would work well. i second the Aquaclear 50 idea.

if you do want to have co2 then you want a filter that will create very little surface disruption. a canister would work well. i reccomend the rena xp2. i had this canister on a 20 gallon and with using the spray bar had no issues with too much flow or fish being blown around the tank.

Make sure you get something that can support 8-10x per hour water circulation! I made the mistake of buying the eheim 2234 for a 50g tank because on the box it said good for up to 60g. It is good for up to 60g aquarium as far as biological filtration but not for water circulation and ended up having to use a powerhead as well.

Also keep in mind after substrate and rocks/driftwood/plants your 20g should hold somewhere around 17-18g.

I had a nice 20g hitec, heavy planted running an ehiem 2213, it worked great with the injected Co2...

I think I still have the filter kicking around here if you want it...$50 with the media (ehiem), has everything but the spraybar (unless I can find it somewhere) as I was using a DIY with the inline Co2 reactor.