Community Tank Shrimp Or Clams?

jesp

I have a 90 gallon planted tank with peaceful community fish. Right now, cardinal tetras, rainbow sharks, plecos, siamese algae eaters, assassin snails.

I love having "critters" in my tank such as shrimp, snails and muscles or clams.

What kinds of shrimp could work in this set up?

Vampire shrimp maybe?

Does anyone have advice on keeping clams or muscles?

If I can, I would love to keep some of these.

Cheers!

Everything i've read about freshwater clams is that they die of starvation and should never be kept in tanks. Does that mean that you shouldn't or that its impossible to, i guess that's up to each person. Without a ton of research i would probably steer clear of them.

As for shrimp, your basic cherry shrimp would probably be the best bet to go with. Although with your rainbow sharks as they increase in size, any shrimp are going to look like tasty treats.

I'd go with larger shrimp - smaller Neocardina spp. will eventually become snacks. Ammanos are great - they get up to 3" and often will claim a spot out in the open (on top of a powerhead or spraybar) as theirs and sometimes will defend it.

If you went with clams or mussles, you'd have to feed them. They're filter feeders and will eventually polish your tank too clean.

I agree with jvision. Amanos should be perfect for your setup! They are very entertaining too. They like to go in for a quick steal when my ottos and cories were eating an algae wafer. They never got all that far though LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

The best prices for Ammanos always seem to be online. The ones I got from Canadian Aquatics were HUGE - and a great price, too!