African Cichlid Planted Tank

Jaki

Hi i have a 50 Gal African Cichlid tank with various plants. I was wondering what the best type of gravel / substrate is the best for plants? Currently i have just normal blue gravel.

I like sand. Quickrete brand Play Sand is only $8 for a 50lb bag - should be fine for a 50gal. :)

sand is awsome for plants. You should pick up a box of florite tabs also. they are about $20 but they do really help and you only need one ever month or 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

home depot..rona..lowes.nevermind none of those places carry it..

they have facilities in Calgary tho..probably not open today..

I would just go to Home depot and buy quickrete play sand..I use it in one tank.

Edited by ubr0ke

i find if you add the sand then the water, and its not so cloudy, also you can put a plate on the sand and pour the water onto the plate instead of directly onto the sand.

but if you add the water then let the sand rinse on the way down to the botton your tank will be cloudy for a lil bit.

i have 2 tanks running with pool filter sand, and 17 running with playground sand.i have not noticed a difference in growth in any tank.

sand is sand

but if you add a little black florite sand beneath the other sand the plants explode with growth.

Quickrete is the same as Target. Home Depit just changed brands. In Edmonton, the sand at HD came rinsed for the longest time, but about 1.5 years ago, they stopped selling rinsed sand.