Small Alkaline Community Fish?

heff

Afternoon everyone,

I'm looking to get a group of small community to fit my 7.6 pH 10 gallon tank. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I looked at some cherry barbs, but at a max size of 2" they'll probably be too large. I'd also like them to be fairly flashy. I saw a few pics of the celestial pearl danios; they look pretty nice.

Let me know your opinions :)

Thanks!

Hugh

Most fish that you can buy around here will do fine in that tank - as long as they're the right size. The Celestial Danios would be great. There are a few small rainbows that'd do well; Endler's as was mentioned. You could also do shrimp.

for 10 gallons...

Endlers would be my first choice also. + dwarfed cories (cute lol), shrimp

Shrimp alone (mixed compatible types).

I think I am going to get some Pearl danios for my tank.

Neons..tetras? (there are quite a few types now a mix would be cool). Rummy nose tetras are kinda nice similar cherry barbs in size

... Other types of danios?

Let us know what you end up getting.wink.gif

Schenops mollies stay small,love hard water and planted tanks. Also they are fine without salt too. Though I have all weird wild bettas and livebearers and plants, I'll always have my mollies too!!

I've got a few red cherry shrimp and a few kuhli loaches already, so I don't think I want anymore bottom feeders.

Has anyone ever kept celestial pearl danios? Anyone know if they're at all hardy? I think I've seen some of them at Big Al's for only $5 a fish or something stupid... TNT says they'll have them "soon" as well.

I was at Big Al's last weekend and they were 8.99 a piece....more than double TNT and people I have talked to say TNT is good to deal with and good fish. I would go with them if you are patient.

Send TNT an email to see what their ETA is on having some available - that way you'll know if you're waiting a couple weeks or less, or if it'll be a while.

In a 10g you could do a small colony/pair of shelldwellers (Neolamprologus Multifasciatus, Brevis, gold occies, etc). Not the most colorful fish going, but plenty of personality and they breed easily.

You could also do a planted tank with a mix of small fish (mountain cloud minnows, danios, etc) or shrimp.

Limias, girardinus and heterandia formosas are great in small planted tanks and you never have to worry about running out of them!!!

• 1 month later...