Critique My List Please :)

jus_sum_guy

Wandering over to the cichlid world from community and was hoping I could get some of you to critique my stocking list as well as filtration.

Fluval Osaka 70 G tank

1 Aquaclear 70 and 1 Aquaclear 30

2 x Daffodil Brichardi

2 x Sunshine Peacock

2 x Ruby Red Peacock

2 x Black Calvus

2 x Electric Yellow

2 x Bristlenose Plecos

2 x Synodontis Petricola

1 x Frontosa

Thanks a bunch!!!

I would skip the Frontosa only because it will outgrow the 70 gal tank, but you could get rid of it if it gets to big. The rest looks okay. The Daffodil's might get a bit aggressive if they pair up and start breeding but you could move their cave to one corner of the tank thus giving the other fish more friendly territory.

The Daffodils are the big question mark for me as well (aside from the Front, of course). I would also increase the number of Petricolas to 6-10

If you are planning on breeding pairs then two different species of Aulonacara is not good. The females look too similar and the possibility of crossbreeding is never good. If you are planning to breed then why not 1 male and 3 females of one peacock, should work out a lot better.

Just my two cents.

Cheers

:beer:

If you are planning on breeding pairs then two different species of Aulonacara is not good. The females look too similar and the possibility of crossbreeding is never good. If you are planning to breed then why not 1 male and 3 females of one peacock, should work out a lot better.

Just my two cents.

Cheers

Yes good point I missed that :boxed:

I kinda of figured the Front wouldn't work. Thought I would try though :D

More Petricolas - got it!

The Mrs will be unhappy if I don't go with Daffodils lol. It was the one fish that she wanted

no plans on breeding at all and cross-breeding would be bad. How would I get around this? 1 fish of each peacock species? all females??

Any other types that anyone can recommened that would be suitable?

Thanks for advice so far!

Go with all male peacocks. Male daffodils have nicer fins than females... when they're fully mature. When they're younger, they're hard to tell apart. But, if you can find a couple male daffodils (or females), then everything should be fine indefinitely.

Just my two cents.

Cheers

I agree as well.

Al

If you are going to go with no breeding, then for Peacocks you definitely want all males - the famales are a boring brown.

The Front is 100% out, too big and won't do well alone.

The Brichardi, i've never had them, all i keep hearing is that if they pair up you will get the Brichardi Death Squad and long term you will end up with only Brichardi in there (because the future generations will team up with the parents to kill off anything else in the tank). I think you would be good to go with only one of them, or if you get them big enough that you are 100% certain they are the same sex, but that will be tough.

Do lots and lots of research before getting fish, you have a nice big tank so you have lots of options, but there is still going to be compatibility problems with lots of fish. With Chiclids, the key is to do way too much front end research and you'll have success. People who go to the LFS and get the ones that they like the best are almost always doomed to have casulties.

ok 1 last question...

I was planning on using an aquaclear 70 and 30 on each side of the aquarium.

I was told by a LFS that I should use the aquaclear 70 and an aquaclear 50 powerhead instead.

I thought tangs don't like water flow.....

Can anyone clarify or make suggestions?

Going to get the equipment today!

I like the idea of 2 filters, myself. Your calvus will find a place that suits them, and Daffodils will be fine, either way.

I want a frontosa exclusive tank if you still have it and you are looking to rehome/sell I would love it let me know thanks alot

and your list looks pretty awesome to me Im starting out after a long lay off of the fish world and so long as your happy with it and nothing is being eaten or beaten to death then youve got it beat