German Blue Ram

Ghostface

Hello, I have a pair (at least I think I do, I'll take some pictures tomorrow) of GBR. I am setting up a nice 15-20 gal tomorrow, with plants, hiding places, $30 bag substrate (ouch, better be worth it!). I've researched forums through google etc. I found out they like PH of about 6, and like warm water (around 78-80). I have had these guys for about 3 months now and they are doing great, eating well etc. I currently have them in my Fluval Flora tank which is to small, its heavily planted, but I haven't really put in any flat surfaces or hiding places for them spawn on, although I've read they will also dig a nest into substrates and lay eggs there. Is there any special techniques you guys use to get them to spawn? Again, I've read 50% water changes, feeding them brine shrimp and bloodworms might get them in the mood. I bought some PH down today in hopes to soften the water, since Calgary water has a PH of like 8 out of the tap.

So, to all you GBR breeders out there, any tips would be much appreciated, thanks

They manage fine even in PH 7.6 (edmonton) Yours may not be old enough? (They would have to be 6-9 months old) Water changes weekly of 50% a few rocks and you should be ok

Using PH down might be tricky and not necessarily constant. Not usually recommended.

If you really are serious about the Ph mix in 50 to 75% RO water that would be a lot better, and will also lower the hardness. The fry would do better in that mix.

HTH

J

Lowering the pH does not make water softer, it makes it more acidic. One does not preclude the other. What Geleen said is probably the best advice for getting a target pH and hardness, and what Darren said is probably all that is needed - your fish were most likely born and raised in water that is similar to what you're using. I wouldn't tinker with the water until you know for sure that things aren't working. The best thing to get them in the mood is probably time. :)

My GBR laid eggs for the first time last night, this morning they were still there, but saw the male eating some up, I figured he was just eating up all the non-fertile ones. I got home from work, and I can't see the eggs anymore. I realize its common for them to eat the first few spawns, but the female is still going to the spot where the eggs were and is fanning and protecting whatever is there...is that normal, or has she just hidden the eggs that I can't see?...I stuck my hand in the tank to pull out the piece of rock, but she attacked my hand haha, so I just left it be and didn't take a closer look at the rock.

GBR are pretty good parents from what I've read online, should I just let them do their thing until they get it right or after how many tries should I just pull the rock out and artificially raise the eggs in separate tank?

I'd say they ate the eggs you can't see, they aren't known for hiding eggs after they lay them, only protecting them. As for the fanning and protecting that is normal, she is just carrying out the parental instinct even though the eggs were eaten. She should give up in short time, a couple days maybe. I think with determining how long to wait until you take out the rock depends on your patience. If you can wait, they might go through a number of spawns (maybe even up to 4-5) before getting it right, which could take months. This being said sometimes they don't ever really become great parents and you will have to.

• 1 month later...

Well, just a quick update...I my GBR were breeding like crazy, they spawned every 6-8 days, I left the eggs in for at least 4 spawns. Then I went to my buddies wedding in the Dominican and had a friend feed them. When I got back the tank was at like 19C and 2 were dead with 1 Male 1 Female still alive (guessing the lack of heat and flux in temp killed 2 of them). Anyway, the female died a few days after. The Male lived, and is still living and doing well. I purchased another Female for him, and they had 1 spawn before I noticed her gasping for air, then dying the next day. I check water quality and everything was normal, not too sure why she died. The male is still doing great, but I'm not sure If I want to keep going with them since they are like $14 a piece. I really like the Male I got, he's been a trooper, I just wish I could find him a solid female that wont die after 2-3 weeks.

Oh I should add, the spawn with the new female, I noticed the male helping to clean the rock and everything but never saw him fertilize the eggs, he did fertilize with the other female, not sure why he didn't with his new partner?

My setup is 15gal planted tank with high quality dark sand, just have my GBR Male, and 5 Rasborra Het, Temp is steady at 27C and I do 30% water changes weekly along with filter cleaning. I was thinking of adding a piece of driftwood to help with water quality, you guys think that would help out?

I am also considering getting a more hardy cichlid, what would you guys recommend? A pair would be nice, do any of the petstores in Calgary sell mature enough pairs that will breed? or do I have to get lucky on kijiji for that

thanks for all

GBR's aren't too hard to keep, as long as things are stable and they get acclimated slowly, like drip them in and stuff like that. The first little while is a test for the little guys for sure. They like a heavily planted tank for security. Or it may have been the stress of only being a single female that did her in. Too much pressure from her demanding little man. When I kept them I had 2 males and 3 females and all was good. They are a wicked little fish to keep, so good luck.

GBR's aren't too hard to keep, as long as things are stable and they get acclimated slowly, like drip them in and stuff like that. The first little while is a test for the little guys for sure. They like a heavily planted tank for security. Or it may have been the stress of only being a single female that did her in. Too much pressure from her demanding little man. When I kept them I had 2 males and 3 females and all was good. They are a wicked little fish to keep, so good luck.

Thanks Jayba, I will try that again, the 2males 2females I had were fine until i went on holidays, laying eggs every 7-8days.