So I got this little tank

rudy

It is one of those waterhome type tanks with the filtration above the tank and the lighting seems pretty good. I am mildly intrigued by the salt set ups and was wondering what I could do with this thing? How much it would take to set up and what could I put in it?

I like reef type tanks and also predators (of course). Dwarf lion some form of trigger, or something of that nature.

You will need liverocks and a skimmer. I think your tank has a pretty descent mechanical filtration. Bio filtration will be from the liverocks.

how big is the tank? some corals and such need specialized lighting. i am pretty sure someone with more knowledge will be answer ur questions.

js

I don't run a skimmer on my 20g I run a small powersweep and a AC mini and 21 LBS of live rock with 2X 55w 50/50 power compacts. This system has work excellent for me except my nitrates run at 20 ppm which is ok mainly due to the fact I have crushed coral instead of sand. I had my lights and substrate for months and months I was to chicken to jump in when I did I regreted that I didn't do it earlier. It is a lot easier than it sounds, I seem to run a better sw than a fw. Just jump in with both feet and start getting everything cycled B)

Any questions just asked here or on Canreef.....I seen you posted the same there.

This system has work excellent for me except my nitrates run at 20 ppm which is ok mainly due to the fact I have crushed coral instead of sand.

Why would your type of substrate have any difference on your high nitrate level?

Rudy, forget about lions and triggers in that small of a tank, start looking at gobies, damsels and crustaceans.

This system has work excellent for me except my nitrates run at 20 ppm which is ok mainly due to the fact I have crushed coral instead of sand.

Why would your type of substrate have any difference on your high nitrate level?

Rudy, forget about lions and triggers in that small of a tank, start looking at gobies, damsels and crustaceans.

The CC seems to trap more crap it that build up you can see air bubbles that build up along the glass and when my goldenhead is sifting he release the air into the water colum which I think is nitrates. There is also a lot of junk and coraline grown along the substrate and the glass. I also have a 29 gal with sand and I have no substrate/nitrate problems B)

Hello,

I agree you cant put any triggers or lionfish in a 20G (you need minimum 80 Gals for most lions) remember the tiny ones Michael Roth and I bought may look great and small now but they will grow to around 15 inches long with a wingspan of around 18 inches (no 20G can hold that).

Sounds like you will need to drain one of your tankbusters home if you want to keep those kind of saltwater fish. Also you can put a trigger with a lionfish in something over 100G but remember the lion's venomous and the trigger may harass the lion into a permanent hunger strick.(you may also get lucky and find two that co-exist)

Lions are reef safe (as they wont eat your corals) but will eat all small fish and shrimp and anything else that moves and fits in their mouths. Triggers will nip at corals and possible other reef inhabitants.

Paul.

Edited by JSTR

The CC seems to trap more crap it that build up you can see air bubbles that build up along the glass and when my goldenhead is sifting he release the air into the water colum which I think is nitrates. There is also a lot of junk and coraline grown along the substrate and the glass. I also have a 29 gal with sand and I have no substrate/nitrate problems B)

$10 says your nitrates are coming from you AC mini ( assuming there's medai in it).