Can't Make Bubble Nest?

Sierra

I have a new betta and try as he might he can not build a bubble nest. I think that's what he is trying to do anyway...

He is constantly showing off to the female and blowing at the surface..but it is almost like his mouth opens to wide and no bubbles seem to stay just pop. I wish I could video it cause it's like he is swallowing so much air for like 3 long seconds at a time then he tries but no....

Could the water be too clean?? I'm going to stop changing it awhile see if that does anything.

He has a little cup to build it under and he is always at the surface trying but..nothing works!

Anyone ever seen this???

Well I am not aiming to breed this one.. yet. He is younger because of size and fin length in an unheated tank. It isn't a huge problem (also.."yet") just have never seen it before.

I will update when he changes to a heated more established tank for possible breeding.

I removed the female from his view will check if that does anything.

Thanks guys!!

BTW: I think gorgeous betta at PJS pets on calgary..haha but not gorgeous enough for 70$ OMG INSANE I've never seen one not imported for so much. Ha

Pretty sure he is a white maybe closer to opaque with some cellophane on his fins... Little hard to classify for me. OH and he is a crowntail. Exotic looking. If anyone wants to see him ha I bet he will be there for...the rest of his life?

if you're not planning on breeding him then i wouldn't worry one bit if he can make a nest or not. might as well take that lil cup out from the surface of the water. maybe replace it with a lily plant? that'd look nice.

and i could see that PJ's betta getting sold pretty quick. not too common for unusual varieties to come into stores and somebody with cash burning a hole in their pocket will be sure to snap him up.

Yes I need to look more into floating plants for simpler style tanks. Non-heated for starters..

Lol maybe the rest of his life an exaggeration...I guess people do pay a lot for fish on here.. but I wouldn't pay that much for a betta from a store. Depends who you are lol and I would rather go to olive garden for lunch 4 times muahaha...can you tell I'm starving right now. Damn.blush.gif

Totally off topic...anyhow yes will update when betta moves homes! Nobody has seen this though...they usually end up being able to build them??