West African Dwarf Cichlids

Raven

Wondering if something like Nanochromis parilus could go with P. pulcher. Or is there is anything else that could go with them that is around the same size. Tank (once the pump issue is fixed) would be 50G. And the P.Pulchers still have no fry, seen eggs a plenty, no babes though, same with the amecas. Tank mates that would move from the current 29G to the 50G are: pair Ameca splendids, 4 tiger bards, 1 diamond tetra, 1 BN pleco. Willing to trade the tetra and barbs for schoolers on the smaller side. Like black neon tetras, they look cool. haha. Oh and the Amecas have destroyed a lot of the plants i had, is there any tougher leafed ones that they will leave alone? All that i have left is the Crypts, anubus, and something newish i'm trying out that i can't remember the name too.

It's possible that it could work, just make sure there are more than enough caves, and lots of plants & decor to break up line of site. Other plants that'd work are Java fern and Boblitus.

I know there are a few Nanochromis species that are said to be really aggressive, is there any that are more passive? this pair of Kribs are pretty layed back..

Matches what i have read. Has anyone seen any N. parilus? What other small size cichlid fish could i keep with them? Been wondering if i could get some mouth brooders again.

Or Hemichromis cristatus. They have some real nice color to them. Can't find much info on them, do they go by another name? I think they would go real nice with the P.pulcher and N. parilus. Been thinking about rehoming the BN Pleco, seems the pulchers and it quarrel a lot over the caves (there's 3) and it has been mentioned it could be eating the eggs, not cool. What can i use to replace it as clean up crew?

A bit of both. I don't feed much, the buggers always seem hungry, scavenge everything, but there's always a sinking pellet they miss. And algae since nothing seems to work to get rid of it, even a 5 day black out during a BG outbreak that it survived, and its hard to scrub off stuff since it grows on anything.

Blah, wish there was a more easy way to find info, Seems every website google come up with has something different. would some pseudocrenilabus species work? And again, what to do for a clean up crew?

I think the Pseudocrenilabrus would be too agressive for the P Pulcher. I briefly had Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi and a pair of P Pulcher in a 33 gallon. The Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi male was very territorial to all species and when the P Pulcher had fry it was a constant battle to protect them from the nicholsi. I had to provide as much cover for the fry as possible and the parents were on constant guard. The interesting thing was the P Pulcher were very smart and worked as a team - they would station themselves at different places in the tank and when the nicholsi went after one parent the other one would attack from behind and temporarily scare off the nicholsi.

Overall I think it is too stressful for the fish.

- Kevin

Found lists of apparently every species of fish thats a cichilidae from Nigeria and Cameroon. Didn't say anything about what rivers they came from in most of them so i've been limiting the search to fish of about 13cm and under which varies a bit and their names are confusing seems to change alot. Sometimes the only info i got was their size.

Nigeria

Astatotilapis bloyeti - 3"

Gobiocicnla wonderi "Goby Cichlid" - 6-7 cm

Hemichromis-bimaculatus-(varying sizes)5-6" 10-13, 15 cm quttatus"common jewel"- 4"11cm/15cm elongatus"5 start General"- 15 cm 6" (aggression noted)lifalili"blood-red/Red Forest"(from congo)- 4" 10cm -cristatus"Red Forest"- 9cm-fasciatus-15cm

Sarotherodon galilaeus sanagaensis- 13.3 cm

Thysochromis-annectens- 8.5 cm -ansorgii"5 spot krib"- 8.8cm 13 max

Tilapia cameronenis - 13.3 cm

Cameroon(some species may not be listed as the as also be from Nigeria)

Astatoreochromis alluaudi-6"

Bentichromis-conjunctus-6-7cm -finleyi"mungo"- 10cm -nigrodorsalis- 12-14cm -ufermanni (endemic?)-<4" riomuniensis- 4-5"

Chromoidotilapia- guntheri guntheri "Guenther's mouthbrooder"-14.5 cm -linkei-7.4 cm

Parananochromis-brevirostris-5.1 cm -caudifasciatus- 10.5 cm 4" -longirostris- 6" 11.5 cm

Found no info on the following

Sarotherodon -galilarus -caroli

Tilapia- deckerti -kottae

Bentichromis batesii

Chromoidotilapia guntheri loenbergi

Other fish/ names i found but have yet to look into

Pelmatochromis

Steatocranus

Alestiid tetras

Anomalochromis thomasi

Aphyosemion spp. "killifish"

Any other sugestions?

I agree that the Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi are too aggressive for P. pulcher. I used to have a pair of nicholsi and the male was very agressive. He would attack my hand and everything.

I kept 2 pairs plus 1 male of C. guntheri guntheri in a 40g. They weren't aggressive at all, actually mine were quite timid and I needed to add dither fish. They were beautiful, they get a awesome silver dorsal fin and yellow/pink body.

Does it have to be west african? Some of the smaller CA/SA cichlids mix well with P. pulcher. I have kept rainbow cichlids(Herotilapia multispinosa) before and they were a nice small CA cichlid. Not too aggressive, easy to breed and had great coloring.