Painted Fire Red Shrimp Breeding

Ron

I've been hanging around my PFR tank hoping to see some eggs hatch and I caught this today. Not the clearest of pics but let's just say they're not known for their stamina so I had to work quickly.

Edited by Ron

Ha ha if it was me I'd had thought it was eating the other !

Congratz and hopefully ya start seeing so smallish shrimp

Blake

Thanks, there are a couple females in there that have little eyes under their tails so hopefully I'll have shrimp fry swimming around.

Ron

Update: Just saw my first baby this morning....Yippee!

Edited by Ron

I'm pretty sure the female in the pic dropped her eggs after they were deposited under her tail. She isn't the best looking female so if she doesn't smarten up, it's off to the feeder colony for her :chair: ..........:rofl:

Congratulations! Are they starting to show some red that some PFR shimplets are known to show at a very young age?

Thanks guys! These guys are not showing any red yet, maybe arfter a shed or two. I have some in there that are ~1/4" that are definitely showing red.

Ron

Edit: Added pic of 3/8" PFR with shrimplet behind it.

post-5043-0-53121900-1298676483_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ron

Hey Ron,

Is there a sure fire way to sex them? It would seem that most of mine Fire Red's are a fairly solid red, having a hard time trying to pick out the males in my group - not sure if i even have any.. they all seem to have decent color, so i am not sure if the smaller ones are males or just really young females. I will see if I can take some pictures and post them

The females will develop the appearance of a saddle on her back ( green or yellow) the same as a cherry red shrimp female. This will happen just before she has eggs undernieth her abdomen. And also you can use it as an indicator that she will be dropping her eggs soon, because a saddle will appear days before this occurs.

This is the easiest way in my opinion to tell the sex of the shrimp. They will constantly breed so she will constantly have eggs or the saddle. Also, the females are usually brighter and bigger.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the tip about the saddle! I am one of the recent shrimp converts and am pretty sure I have 3 female and 4 males (purchased as Red Sakura Shrimp from the Lfs). One of the females is holding eggs and another has the saddle. I was wondering what was up with the marking, now I know! Thanks again!

The females will develop the appearance of a saddle on her back ( green or yellow) the same as a cherry red shrimp female. This will happen just before she has eggs undernieth her abdomen. And also you can use it as an indicator that she will be dropping her eggs soon, because a saddle will appear days before this occurs.

This is the easiest way in my opinion to tell the sex of the shrimp. They will constantly breed so she will constantly have eggs or the saddle. Also, the females are usually brighter and bigger.

Hope this helps

In my experience the females can have a saddle appear quite a while before they are mated and move the eggs down to their undercarriage. From what I've read the females, with saddles, will be bred soon after a molt and then the eggs will be fertilized on the way to the undercarriage.

The shape of the underside of the tail and the saddle are the best indicators of sex.

Edited by Ron