Resealing A Tank That Had A Sump

MbunaFan

Are you just wanting to seal the hole? Or are you wanting to redo the entire tank?

The first thing I'd do is fill it in the bathroom to see if it does hold water. If not, and you just want to seal the hole, use a razor blade or Exacto blade and scrape all the silicone away. Use a bit of acetone once it's all been scraped to help get rid of any residue. Then, use a piece of glass that will cover the hole, giving you at least 1/2" around the hole. Place a good bead of silicon around the hole, then put the glass on the spot.

It's easiest to seal the hole while it is resting on the pane that the hole is in. Put a book or something relatively heavy on the glass after you silicon it on, and leave it for at least a day. Should be all you need.

Are you just wanting to seal the hole? Or are you wanting to redo the entire tank?

The first thing I'd do is fill it in the bathroom to see if it does hold water. If not, and you just want to seal the hole, use a razor blade or Exacto blade and scrape all the silicone away. Use a bit of acetone once it's all been scraped to help get rid of any residue. Then, use a piece of glass that will cover the hole, giving you at least 1/2" around the hole. Place a good bead of silicon around the hole, then put the glass on the spot.

It's easiest to seal the hole while it is resting on the pane that the hole is in. Put a book or something relatively heavy on the glass after you silicon it on, and leave it for at least a day. Should be all you need.

X2 My tank had 3 holes sealed this way for over 10 years without problems.

• 2 weeks later...