Lf: Co2 Planted Aquarium Information-Dead Fish?

reynes

Can anyone give me some pointers. %% Gal planted aquarium w/ fluval Co2 set up, My PH has been a bit low (5) and have added

some Ph boost to the aquarium, but my community fish are still dieing!??! Is there a test kit for planted Co2 tanks I can get or what am I missing here???

Is there something I should be doing that I am missing?

Well if the %% is ment as 55 then I doubt highly it's the co2 ... But as commented by wener - how old is the setup ? Aeration ? Any big water changes ? Maybe the ph boost is swinging the ph where your fish can't handle it . What are you using to get a reading of 5 ? Maybe it's a bunk test and your raising the ph way too much .

Blake

Edited by The-Influence

From what I have read the pH swing caused by CO2 is not harmful to fish. Some people run no CO2 and an airstone at night and pump CO2 about an hour before lights which would cause a swing in pH, but apparently it doesn't affect the fish. Not sure if it's the CO2.

Sorry, yes a 55 Gal. I am using the NUTRIFIN TEST for pH, I have had the tank set up for quite some time now, but

have just recently switched it over to a planted tank, going on 4 weeks now, I have done water changes,30-40%, yes with tap water and do use water conditioner

as well. The Co2 fluval system that I bought from Pj's probally is not the best Co2 set up, but it is simple and I thought it would be a good way to start and try with plants.

I am running about 1 bubble per 5 seconds. As far as air in the tank I have 2 sponge filters in it as well, I have never had fish die on me like this and it has all started

ever since I added the Co2 ?????? I have kept fish for years and have never had casualties like this, I have never really been one to buy test kits either, but may need to now. any

suggestions as to what I should maybe test for? or any helpfull suggestions I should try?

Well, if you're only running 1 bubble/5sec AND have sponge filters, then you have effectively NO CO2 in your tank. CO2 gases off very easily, so people who add it try to keep surface agitation to a minimum. Most of us use Canister or Internal filters.

So, since there is no CO2 in the tank, something else is causing the pH crash. And, since you're using tap water, which is buffered around 7.8 in Edmonton and Calgary, something is quite wrong. When was the last time you cleaned your filters? They may be filled with gunk, which releases a lot of DOCs, causing the pH to drop.

To clean sponge filters w/o destroying the bacteria colony, fill a pail with tank water and squeeze out the sponge. If it's been a while, you'll likely need to refill the pail a few times. If you don't have enough old tank water, you can use DECHLORINATED tap water.

The Fluval 305 filter has been cleaned regularly, but it has been a while for the sponge filters. I will give them a squeeze or two in a separate pail of water and place them back in.

I know it is not as simple as adding Co2 and plants to a tank to get a good planted tank enviroment, but is there any daily or weekly things one should do to keep up with the attempt

of keeping a planted tank like what I am trying to have? Should the Co2 rn consistantly or turn off when the lights re off? or does that really matter at all?

Thanks for your advice and help, I really appreciated it as I really want to get this planted tank figured out!!! :angry:

FOr such a tiny CO2 system you would probably benefit from turning it off at night so you don't waste any. Those things can be pricey. Do you have the Fluval 20 or Fluval 88? I leave my CO2 running 24/7 but it's from a 5 lb tank and that is a whole different story.

If you are serious about growing plants I would go ahead and invest in a 5 or even 10 lb tank and regulator. If you are running the Fluval 88 it will cost over 300 bucks for a years supply of refill cartriges if you are aiming for target CO2 which is around 30 ppm. You could easily have a brand new CO2 setup and tank for 300 bucks and pay ~20 bucks for refills on that as opposed to 20 bucks for refills on the 88g cartridge.

Also 1 bubble every 5 seconds isn't nearly enough as jvision has stated. On a 55 you should need around 3 bubbles per second to get 30 ppm CO2. It actually is as simple as adding CO2, light, ferts and plants and voila! You have a lush growing planted tank.

Ammonia spikes are normal for soil substrates and can last for a month or more but if you boil for 15 min before adding to tank this will not happen.<br>I would remove substrate and separate gravel and soil the best you can.. Boil soil, remove floating pieces and rinse out gravel. Lay soil down as a bottom layer and cap with gravel.<br>This way if you like to uproot plants it doesn't cause a big mess....Schultz is pretty much inert other then some iron so make sure you dose the water column. It has a high cec so if you dose the water column the soil will retain the nutrients for the roots.

Edited by ubr0ke