Neolamprologus Multifasciatus Shell Dwellers

Hippoherder

I think I've finally aught the cichlid bug. I've never kept cichlids before but I think I am wanting to give them a try. I really like the idea of the shell dwellers to start. I've been reading up on them and they look like they need a species only tank. Has anyone had any experience keeping this fish with anything else? I would imagine shrimp or general community fish would get beaten up. Just wondering if anyone had any luck with anything. Also, is anyone breeding these?

Thanks

I've kept L. brevis and ocelatus in Tanganyikan Community tanks, and they hold their own with most of the more common Tangs (other Neonlamps, lamps, Altolamps, Cyps, Paracyps are what I had). I did try them with some Callochromis macrops, but the macrops moved too much sand and were just to active. I should mention that these tanks were 135 (6'x18") and 120 (4'x2') tanks.

there good hardy little fish i have kept them . also there good in little groups my buddy had a nice size group in his tropheus tank . there fun to watch just like little construction crew always digging around there shells . also you want about 2 shells per fish u get . i had three when i had them and they used them all . nice thing also they are a comunity breading so dont have to wory about others eating the fry when they are hatched also another way to go is a simmilis wich is the same just stripes are deffrent River front aquariams has a few deffrent kinds of shellies and has multies

Edited by darrin34

Its actually kind of funny my brevis were the most agressive little fish i've ever own. It has been the only fish the attacked me every time i put my arm in the tank to clean it....freaky little fella's