C. Fasciata "faowi Village" Rainbowfish

Jayba

Here are two pics of my C. fasciata "Faowi Village" Very cool fish, hard to take a picture of though. It's like trying to get a picture of a house fly while in flight LOL! But this will give you the idea. These are stock from Rick Wilsack of Calgary.

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4201.jpg

[/url]

Edited by Jayba

If memory serves correct they get about 4 inches give or take a bit. They seem to be a fish with a good disposition. I would say a community fish, but they could possibly be aggressive if there are a couple males and only one female to choose from. I by no stretch am I Rainbow savvy. But I'm working on it. They are in with angels, they all ignore each other. These guys are so fast the angels don't even get to the food when these guys rush in, grab it and take off. It's funny

• 1 month later...

If memory serves correct they get about 4 inches give or take a bit. They seem to be a fish with a good disposition. I would say a community fish, but they could possibly be aggressive if there are a couple males and only one female to choose from. I by no stretch am I Rainbow savvy. But I'm working on it. They are in with angels, they all ignore each other. These guys are so fast the angels don't even get to the food when these guys rush in, grab it and take off. It's funny

Nice pictures Jayco especially since this species of rainbowfish is very hard to catch on film. They are a very fast moving fish. Your guess at 4 inches is the best I could do as that is a good estimate for the species Chilatherina fasciata. That is all we have to go on as it is quite new to the hobby, part of Gary Lange's 2005 collection. However the father to these young of yours which is about 1.5 years old is almost 5 inches and he is cramped in a 50 gallon tank. I believe he is quite happy, mind you he has two girls to play with :heart: Hope to see more pictures from your young as the coloration of these fish change all the time and get brighter with mood, age, and diet. I believe this picture that Gary Lange took he was on a heavy diet of green vegetation.

post-1337-0-85871800-1302462554_thumb.jpg

It is very true how different these fish can look with varying conditions. These are a few pics of my Faowis. They are from the same spawn as Jay's.

I'm totally hooked on rainbows.

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

Edited by jcgd

These guys were highly recomended to me by Rick, they were rather young but I took the advice of someone who knew better than me. I now have 2 males and 2 females. They are my favorite! The males are getting better color all the time. They are always flairing and showing off to each other as well as the females. They used to be in with 10 or so Angelfish, and when it was feeding time, these little torpedos literally would snag food as the angels were heading for it. They would zoom in grab it.Yoink! They are comical little things, and ignore everything else in the tank. I would highly recomend them for anyone.

Here are some pics of mine, not great pics, just messing with the new flash, but it shows how different they are from their siblings. Just goes to show how diet, water, mood, tankmates and even tank size can effect how they look. I will post some better pics when I get some.

IMG_4459.jpg

IMG_4465-1.jpg

Edited by Jayba

Wow you really have some nice ones there i only wish i had the eqipment to actually capture the brilliant orange from my new rainbowfish. I'm hoping to spawn and raise them but it's hard to tell rainbowfish eggs from snail eggs right now lol. Congrats on your fish. I think i might be in future looking to change my 80 gallon cichlid tank to a rainbowfish tank.

Good luck

L

These guys were highly recomended to me by Rick, they were rather young but I took the advice of someone who knew better than me. I now have 2 males and 2 females. They are my favorite! The males are getting better color all the time. They are always flairing and showing off to each other as well as the females. They used to be in with 10 or so Angelfish, and when it was feeding time, these little torpedos literally would snag food as the angels were heading for it. They would zoom in grab it.Yoink! They are comical little things, and ignore everything else in the tank. I would highly recomend them for anyone.

Here are some pics of mine, not great pics, just messing with the new flash, but it shows how different they are from their siblings. Just goes to show how diet, water, mood, tankmates and even tank size can effect how they look. I will post some better pics when I get some.

IMG_4465.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

All these great pictures of juveniles...well they are about 9 months old and I hear that they are spawning regularly! Against my better judgement I thought that I would post a couple of pictures of dad. He is getting close to two years old and almost 5 inches in length. He has not got quite as much yellow as the picture of Gary's male posted in my earlier post. Maybe to much meat, but then I think that he needs lots of high quality protein as his two girls keep him on the go. He does like veggie flake but then he likes to eat what ever I give him. I haven't got much of a camera, just a point and shot and as mentioned in earlier posts these fish are a very fast moving, so please try to overlook my photography expertise. I won't be breeding him for a while as someone from Calgary got an egg kit at the CAS spring workshop from Gary Lange and I hear that he has got a bunch of healthy fry from it! This species of rainbowfish, genus "Chilatherina" is very prolific, and it is quite easy to obtain 2 to 3 hundred eggs from a trio in a week. They are a lot of fun and quite easy to breed.

post-1337-0-71233800-1302569649_thumb.jpg

post-1337-0-40610700-1302569664_thumb.jpg

These boys do get pretty big and they really look great in a large tank. I am always amazed at the different colors this fish takes on. Some of it is in their mood, some in the background of the tank and I think a lot in what they've eaten. When we caught the Faowi Village fish wild they really had a lot of yellow in them, similar but brighter than the photo of mine that was posted in this thread. There were ample shrimp available in that stream along with all of the normal algae that any stream has to offer.

On a second collection of C. fasciata from Pagai in 2008 we netted a whole mass of 2.5-3 inch fish in a tea water colored creek right near it's outlet into a big muddy (croc containing) river. These fish weren't yellow, but rather bright golden in color as seen in the photo below. This photo was taken stream side about 10 minutes after collecting them, they were even brighter in the net. C_fasciata_Pagai_6718_Cpyrite.jpg

About 15 minutes after collecting the ones we wanted we had to get into the bucket and clean out all of the green poo that had accumulated! It was like a bed of green gravel at the bottom of our yellow bucket! So we know that these fish had a very high diet of either green algae or unknown plant material. Since the tea water stream really didn't contain any plants and the muddy stream probably also didn't support any plants most likely this green poo was all the result of eating algae.

However over time these fish lost most of their golden colors and now have colors similar but different to Faowi Village. You can see some of that for yourself on the photos that have been posted on the European Rainbowfish Forum under http://www.rainbowfi....php?f=4&t=1833 Scroll down further and you'll see some very nice photos of this fish.

I think if one were to keep either fish outside where more bugs and algae was available you might see more of the yellows and golds pop out.

Gary

When we caught the Faowi Village fish wild they really had a lot of yellow in them, similar but brighter than the photo of mine that was posted in this thread. There were ample shrimp available in that stream along with all of the normal algae that any stream has to offer.

I'm starting up a tank of shrimp specifically for feeders for my rainbows to see if it has any effect on their coloration. If nothing else, at least it's another source of live food.

• 2 weeks later...

When we caught the Faowi Village fish wild they really had a lot of yellow in them, similar but brighter than the photo of mine that was posted in this thread. There were ample shrimp available in that stream along with all of the normal algae that any stream has to offer.

I'm starting up a tank of shrimp specifically for feeders for my rainbows to see if it has any effect on their coloration. If nothing else, at least it's another source of live food.

For the last couple of weeks I have been feeding live blackworms to the brothers and sisters of these fish and all the colors have intensified considerably , including the yellow! Not to forget to mention considerable growth. No doubt blackworms are not only for the stingrays and discus. :thumbs:

I think that I will have to try and convince one of these photographers to come over and take a picture of mine. :rolleyes:

Mine colored up immensly when I started feeding blackworms. They looked good before. Now they are awesome! I love how deep the red on my praecox gets. Not even close to the yellow fins they have in the stores.

• 4 weeks later...