Guppy Question

JORG

A friend sent me 5 different varieties of fancy guppies that he obtained from a breeder in Hawaii. I'm not an expert on guppies but they look pretty sharp.I received 3-4 trios of each kind and placed them in 20 gal tanks and added a bunch of plastic plants so that about half the tank is full of cover. Here is my question should I choose just 1 male to keep in the tank and pull the rest or keep them all together? It seems like the males harass the ripe females all the time.

Edited by JORG

Are you keeping the trios seperate or are they all together?

If they're all together, I would keep them seperate to keep their colors 'pure'.

If they're seperate, but you have several males of each color, you can choose to keep the male(s) you like with the females for bio diversity or whatever floats your boat really. Guppy males are relentless...they will chase a female for what seems like forever, though you've probably already seen that ;)

Good luck!

Add some pics! Interest is officially peaked! LOL

Yep each variety is in their own tank, I tried to take some photo's the other nite but couldn't get any clear ones -- will try again soon. I might have some available for the Calgary and Edmonton auctions depending how fast the babies grow.

Quality, pure breeding guppies would be a treat to see! Even the females, who never seem to surface at the LFS other than in "mixed female" assortments. I got the sense you are keeping the different varieties in their own separate aquariums. A must to keep the strains uncontaminated. I've found with a few livebearer species that the males hassle the females so much that they begin to go down hill. In that case I would separate them. One of the problems with keeping fancy livebearers is you typically need a lot of aquariums to keep even a single line going. Again though, I'd love to see some pics too!

Took a few shots this morning they are frustrating to snap as they never stay still

Albino yellow

guppys021.jpg

Japanese fire reds

guppys020.jpg

Yellow

guppys019.jpg

Gold

guppys018.jpg

Red

guppys012.jpg

Albino gold

guppys006.jpg

• 3 months later...

-- I have quite a few ready to go. I will make a list for fairdeal this week and let him know what is ready. I was hoping to make virgin females available but it appears I am failing.