Cold Water Plants/ Safe Wood For Tanks.

nanmer

I want to plant a cold water tank and would love suggestions as to which plants I can use. It is a fluval chi (thanks again Bettavishvish!), so they are probably just going to be ground cover with one larger plant as a feature. It will receive medium to high lighting as I plan on putting it in an east window. I have one betta, in particular, that is stunning so I would like to make this a nice little show tank!

I would like to use a small branch to grow moss on and was wondering if any from my back yard would work? I have a miniature lilac with nice and twisty branches, would this work? I may be able to get my hands on some corkscrew willow, would this work also? I may also use a larger branch for my existing planted tank, I like the look of a branch with puffy moss. It kind of looks like some of the topiary trees that are incessantly groomed in Chinese gardens. I want mine to look like a bunny but dragon would be way cool lol.

Pretty much any plant will do fine in an unheated tank - most of the plants we keep actually do better in cooler water.

As for the wood, try to remove all bark; and, as long as it doesn't come from an overly sappy type tree (evergreens, maple, etc) or softwood (poplar), you should be fine.