33 Gal Filteration Questions

jamesbarr

Hey all, I have some questions.

I won a 33 gallon tank in the auction this weekend along with an AC 50 filter. Is this going to be enough filtration if I am planning to have the tank heavily planted?

Im thinking of an anubias, along with some tiger val and a variety of other long and short leafs. Im also planning on a big school on danios, another of neons or cardinals, a few show fish which i havent named in my head yet, along with your run of the mill bottom feeders.

Any help?

By big schools how many do you mean? 10 each? If so yes, that will be enough. The plants will do the majority of the filtering for you and filter will help out too. Stay constant with your water changes ever week or 2 to keep the levels down.

You may want a powerhead for increased flow, or if you want some added filtration, a small canister filter would be nice.

i have little experience with a tank this size. I have kept 15 or less forever now. so I am not sure, do i need more filtration? or should i be good to go with just the one?

on another note, I am being told that sand is a good substrate for planted aquariums. is that true or an i being fed a line? One guy told me that its good for the root systems ( less resistance to growth than normal gravel) I am concerned about pockets of poo developing in the sand and not escaping. The reason i worry about this is because of how goopy sand is when wet. Am I crazy?

I keep sand in most of may tanks w. a substrate. Just toss in some MTS to keep it turned.

grabbed a bag of silica grit sandbalsting sand. 88lbs for 10 bux! i have tons! I redid my 5 gallon planted today and will be using it for my 33 soon.

Water is a little cloudy for now, but its clearing slowly and is looking great in my opinion. the color turned out to be a tan/brown. contrast my plants perfectly.

Pictures to come.

Thanks for the help you guys. I really appreciate it!

James

I usually use an AClear 70 in my 33 gallons (the old AC300) which was 300 gallons per hour which is a 9 times cycling per hour which I try to maintain with my hang-on-backs. An AC 50 will be fine if not heavily stocked - ore even if you picked up an AC smaller than the 50 and ran it at the some time you'd have close to 9-10 times/h with the confidence that if one quits you are still covered.

Many people are paranoid about heaters malfunctioning. I more worried about filters, esp. when power cuts off and on. I'd rather be running an extra filter rather than a second heater.