Otocinculus

Caprichoso

I'm looking for an algae eater. The otocinculus seem to be the cutest one I've seen so far. I don't want a pleco, they scare me. Do oto's actually eat algae? If yes, what types of algae do they eat? Do they get along with corydoras, shrimp, gourami and tetras? If yes, which are the best variation to buy? The cuter, the better, lol. Yes, I know, girly comment......

Thanks for your help:)

I'm looking for an algae eater. The otocinculus seem to be the cutest one I've seen so far. I don't want a pleco, they scare me. Do oto's actually eat algae? If yes, what types of algae do they eat? Do they get along with corydoras, shrimp, gourami and tetras? If yes, which are the best variation to buy? The cuter, the better, lol. Yes, I know, girly comment......

Thanks for your help:)

best algae eaters I've found are nerite snails

Otos are good algae eaters and they will get along with what you mentioned. They need to be kept in groups so make sure you buy a couple.

The cutest Otos are the zebra otos but they can be pricey and harder to find. I think regular otos are still pretty cute and they aren't "scary" like a larger pleco can be.

Zebra snails(nerite snails) are also good algae eaters.

Otos are good algae eaters and they will get along with what you mentioned. They need to be kept in groups so make sure you buy a couple.

The cutest Otos are the zebra otos but they can be pricey and harder to find. I think regular otos are still pretty cute and they aren't "scary" like a larger pleco can be.

Zebra snails(nerite snails) are also good algae eaters.

Hi

I thought about putting them in my shrimp tank as well since they don't eat the shrimp. Are the shrimplets going to be safe too? If yes, is a 30g tank big enough for 2 or 3 Oto's? I'll have to look into these zebra oto...sounds nice!

Thanks for the info:)

Otos won't eat your shrimp or shrimp babies. These guys mind their own business and are very well mannered under any circumstance.

For a 30g, I would add 5-10 otos for a cleanup crew. They stay small, so a nice handful won't put too much of a dent in your bio-load and they'll be happier to be able to hang out with more of their kin.

As Val mentioned, zebra otos are also very nice (and expensive). I've found, however, these guys get a bit bigger than the more commonly found varieties, and are a bit more finicky about water conditions.

I've read that the zebra otos are omnivorous. I have 4, and haven't paid a lot of attention to their eating habits. They are definetly munching on algae, but I don' tknow if they are cleaning up flake and such as well. With that said however, I wouldn't be so comfortable with guaranteeing that the zebra otos would not eat baby shrimp.

Regular otos shouldn't from what I have read on them. They are supposedly strictly vegetarian! :D

Whichever you go with, I'd still add a couple of nerite snails. they pound through algae in tough to get to spots. They also won't overflow your tank with snails as they have to hatch them out in salt water. They do leave those little white spots (eggs) but those are fairly easy to clean up.

No reason why you can't add both though. Some nerite snails and a group of otos. If you go with the zebras, keep an eye on them and do post if they eat the baby shrimp. I'd like to know about that.

Dan

I've never met an oto that will eat other tank inhabitants. I've kept many with shrimp colonies as well, and never have had problems.

Personally, I don't care for zebra snails because their eggs are tough to remove - especially from driftwood, and they will climb out of your tank if they find an uncovered spot.

Algae wafers are a good idea if you don't have a lot of plants. But imo, if you need to feed algae wafers, you have too many otos in your clean-up crew.

I've never met an oto that will eat other tank inhabitants.

let me introduce you to the species we are discussing. Have you kept these, and can confirm they won't eat the tiny baby shrimp?

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Otocinclus&species=cocama

if so, then this report might be wrong. As I stated, I have READ that they are omnivorous. If you believe differently, and have kept this species with shrimp and can confirm that they haven't eaten them. (I keep a group of Lacustricola katangae with my cherry shrimp, and I know they are eating them. The shrimp just outbreed their food requirements...), then please advise

thanks

Dan

let me introduce you to the species we are discussing.

No introduction necessary.

While these guys may enjoy eating some meaty treats, they do not actively pursue live food. So I suppose what I said is not entirely true. More accurately: they may eat your shrimp if your shrimp are dead and not running away.

If you observe anything different, I will be very surprised indeed!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll opt out of the Nerite snails, I don't like those white eggs on everything. As for the oto's , I think I'll try the zebra's in my bigger tank as the smallest shrimps in there are the amano and red rhino. I'll get a group of the common oto's for my shrimps tank.

Thanks again!

yah, the only thing I would be concerned with on the zebra Oto's is

A: finding them. They aren't easy to come by

B: the really tiny baby shrimp.

I'd be very surprised if they ate anything larger than that. And as Oneried has said, it is doubtful that they would even eat them. I just hate recomending something only to find out later that I was wrong. It is published that they are omnivorres, but that may well mean that they are just scavengers . I just wouldn't want you to find out the hard way!

good luck with them whichever way you go!

Dan